Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting into on-road electric RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting into on-road electric RC

I'm looking to get into electric RC cars as a hobby. I've read a couple guides online and I figured that electric would be best for me, but thats about the limit to my knowledge. I know that there are kits available and stuff like that, but I have no clue what to buy.

My budget is roughly $100-$200. I would prefer a kit and something that is upgradeable. I wouldn't mind changing the motor/other parts down the line.

Just a couple questions also:

-Are the bodies interchangeable?
-What are the best companies (I've looked at Tamiya quite a bit) for a beginner?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Find a club in your area and talk some folks there. UNless you're just planning on playing by yourself in a parking lot, then get something like a TT01 or M05 from Tamiya.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Used to have M03 built to the hilt and it was plenty fast and fun. Stuck a 7700 Mamba in it w/GRP 26mm foams, bearings, TRF shocks, lower springs, Super Slick tires, a little bit of help from the on-road Mini Cooper page(Thanks Cal,Tony) and tried to keep in on the track; mind you I said, "tried." I agree w/Timbulb +1
Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I might add, a lot of clubs have a mini class for the Tamiya M-chassis cars. Totally fun and easy to get started in.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Master

Touring bodies are generally interchangeable. Most touring cars fit 190mm and 200mm wide bodies.

The M03 Mini is a GREAT car to get into racing and learn the ropes. They are easy to drive, and near indestructible, the 2 most important things when learning!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

it seems like everyone these days makes tamyia upgrade parts so it wouldnt seem that hard to find some i would go with the tt01