Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
15 year break, getting up to speed on new tech. >

15 year break, getting up to speed on new tech.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 year break, getting up to speed on new tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 15 year break, getting up to speed on new tech.

Was into RC in high school, got all serious with life and stopped playing around with tiny cars. Long story short, I'm old enough to be a kid again, and have spent the day trying to figure out what's new in the RC world.

Brushless motors and lithium batteries?! Sign me up!

The problem is there isn't a lot of solid information I've been able to find regarding what components are compatible with what. Are lipo batteries a drop-in replacement for nicad, or do they require special electronics.

For example, the product description for the R603GF receiver on tower hobbies says to use a 4.8v or 6v nicad battery. Have they just not updated their page, or can I not use lipo with this receiver? I see no reason why I couldn't, power is power, but I want to make sure.

Same goes for brushless motors. They a drop-in replacement? I'm considering the reedy 5000kv + micro esc combo. The project is to convert a 1:12 scale model to RC. It weighs about 2 pounds. Think the 5000kv motor will do okay? Does this ESC send juice to the receiver to run the servos? I can't find this data on the spec sheet for it.

Last, battery capacity. I'm eyeballing a 3 cell lipo, that's not going to damage the receiver is it?

I appreciate any feedback, and hope the questions weren't too dumb. :) I forgot damn near everything about RC in the past decade.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

(Hopefully this can help.)

Originally Posted by xzzy

The problem is there isn't a lot of solid information I've been able to find regarding what components are compatible with what. Are lipo batteries a drop-in replacement for nicad, or do they require special electronics.

Pretty much a drop-in for NiCad, just get the appropriate charger and balancer, and maybe a charging bag (fire-proof).

For example, the product description for the R603GF receiver on tower hobbies says to use a 4.8v or 6v nicad battery. Have they just not updated their page, or can I not use lipo with this receiver? I see no reason why I couldn't, power is power, but I want to make sure.

Same goes for brushless motors. They a drop-in replacement? I'm considering the reedy 5000kv + micro esc combo. The project is to convert a 1:12 scale model to RC. It weighs about 2 pounds. Think the 5000kv motor will do okay? Does this ESC send juice to the receiver to run the servos? I can't find this data on the spec sheet for it.

If you run an ESC that is, for example, 3S LiPo capable, then the ESC will use the full 11.1V, and send 6.0V off to the receiver and servos. AS to the motor/ESC, I can't help there, as I'm not into on-raod cars.

Last, battery capacity. I'm eyeballing a 3 cell lipo, that's not going to damage the receiver is it?

Not a bit.

I appreciate any feedback, and hope the questions weren't too dumb. I forgot damn near everything about RC in the past decade.

2.4 GHZ RADIO!!!! GET ONE!!!!
Really, no interference, and you won't have a massive antenna sticking off your radio that can break/bend/poke eyes out.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Was into RC in high school, got all serious with life and stopped playing around with tiny cars. Long story short, I'm old enough to be a kid again, and have spent the day trying to figure out what's new in the RC world.

Lipo batteries come in all shapes and sizes, but most that are on the market for RC car use will fit in most cars, check pack dimensions before purchase though. Lipos cannot be overcharged without possible fire damage, and they cannot be over discharged or possible failure. A lipo compatible charger is needed, and an ESC with "lipo cutoff" feature to protect against over-discharge. The products coming out in the last few years have become pretty darn safe against the human error.
In most car setups, the ESC has a BEC, or battery eliminator circuit, that sends power to the receiver. This is typically regulated to a common voltage, but some ESCs allow you to program your required voltage. Direct voltage from a lipo might kill some receivers, but unless you are running Nitro you should have no worry about that since the ESC is regulating.
The Reedy system should do OK if your weight does not increase much. 2lbs is pretty heavy for some of the smaller micro systems.
If your ESC is rated for 3s then you will be fine.
I appreciate any feedback, and hope the questions weren't too dumb. I forgot damn near everything about RC in the past decade.
Welcome back, and feel free to ask anything you need to know about RC here! You will be surprised when you see then new tech in action.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:53 PM
MOE
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ive been out for about the same amount of time, its crazy tring to catch up on all the new tech. Just when you thought it couldnt get better it always does.LOL
Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

The last speed controller I owned was mechanical!

The joys of your car breaking down mid-run because a solder joint melted on you.. glad I don't have to revisit that.

Anyways, thanks for the information guys. I'll be ordering my parts soon and getting back into this fun.

I just think I need to research my motor a bit better. I guessed on the 2lb weight of the car, I'll need to take some more precise measurements of the weight of the car, and factor in the weight of the electronics.

Does anyone have any advice for motor size/capacity and running weights? It seems like manufacturers are really bad about publishing detailed specs of their motors, which is kind of annoying. The car doesn't really need to run like a Ferrari, but some decent speed is always fun and being able to break the tires free sometimes is good too. :)

It's going to be a silly project, but once I got it into my head I knew there was no option but to try it.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It's going to be a silly project, but once I got it into my head I knew there was no option but to try it.
converting a model kit to rc isnt silly. What can get silly is the amount of power bl/lipo can put out and to watch your model kit self destruct.....
that might be silly to watch....(make video)
now the plus side is once the smoke and shattered plastic settles you will have all the components to fit into a rc car or truck....
I suggest whatever you buy make sure it fits into something you may want to switch too....most of all....HAVE FUN....with your project