Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 buggy driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Exclamation 1/8 buggy driving

I just got a 1/8 rc8 buggy and want to get into racing. I went to the track today and I can't drive that thing faster than 3 mph. If I try to go fast I over steer, spin out, hit guard rails ect ect. Any help on learning how to drive on dirt track would be great.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Do you have the RTR version or did you build the kit? The RTR out of the box should be a good neutral setup for most style off-road tracks, but it's always a good idea to double check all of the components to assure they are assembled correctly. Just a simple mis-adjustment could make the car difficult to drive.
Also I am not sure if you have a Nitro or Electric. Both can be tuned to be more forgiving, or less violent with the power. If you are already running a nitro I assume you know how to tune the engine properly, so a good option would be to tune the engine so that the initial throttle hit is not so powerful. With electric, the ESC is the brain and it can be tuned in multiple ways to change the way your motor performs. Make sure you become very familiar with the settings and exactly what they do, your car will thank you for it.

If you think the car is all in proper order, then get out there and go as slow as it takes to make it around without crashing. It can be frustrating to go really slow lap after lap, but before you know it you will be laying down faster laps, and by then you will have a good idea of what possible changes you would like to make.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also tires are everything. See what they'er running at your track and get a set. An upgrade on the servo couldn't hurt eather. Most of all run it,run it, run it. And don't laugh, slow is fast, no bust-ups, and you won't come in last.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

I have the rc8 nitro kit. I spent all day yesterday with the lhs guy, tuning, changing ride highth, shock oil, diff oil, changing settings on my radio, ect, ect. It's just the servos are faster than I've ever used before. I think I just need to practice more.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Believe me I know where you are coming from. I just got back into rc after a 4 year break and I am all over the place sometimes. But after my second time out I am getting better. As long as you let the better guys go by and try not to wreck them don't worry about it. With practice will come speed. I don't care if I come in last everytime this year because I am out there having fun and getting better each and every time I go out. And that is what rc is all about , having fun.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

That is very true! I have a blast out there, I am just getting frustrated with my lack of skills. My savage is easy I bash it but that buggy is a whole new ball game. If anyone has tips it would be great. Also does anyone drive the rc8 at your clubs? I am the only one at mine. My club is all losi, mugen, and a couple of hot bodies.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The more you practice the better you will get. You'll know what the buggy will do when you give it throttle and turn. Start out going slow in the corners, and you will be able to see where you can give it a little more. Also, walk the track before practice. Watch the faster guys and see where the fast line is on the track. Don't try and outrace anyone, you'll end up flipping.

Drove an rc8 last weekend, and it turns much better than my 8ight!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Something I def have been learning is there is a throttle postion between no throttle and full throttle..That help quite a bit with the spin outs. I also changed my rear diff oil to a lower one to help with this also.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's been stressed to me time and time again...practice practice practice! I can attest to the fact that slower is faster in the long run. Just go out and get a lot of track time in, go slow and take it easy around the track until you get a good feel for it all, and before you know it, you'll know where you can really get on the throttle and whip that thing around the track! Try and do a few laps nice and easy without hitting anything or flipping over, then slowy increase the speed at which you do it. That's what I was told to do, and I'm still doing it, getting better and better each time! Just don't give up!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the tips guys. I always try to end things on a good note. At the end of every practice I try to have one good lap with out crashing. That way u leave with out being to mad.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default let go Luke!

Let go of the steering wheel (or at least let it go back to center)

that would be one thing that has helped me - you don't constantly steer it around the track, you make minor adjustments and let the wheel go back to center, and go straight. If you are going crooked down the straightaway, you turn just a hair, and let the steering go back to center. Oversteering seems to be an issue when startng out.

Like everyone else here has said, slow is fast - try to have a consistant throttle finger - its the key to good driving. try practicing increasing your speed and slowing your speed with minor changes in throttle position. small changes in finger = big changes in speed.

Also, get your brakes worked out right - its important not to slide out when you head for a turn and hit the brakes - reduce brakes until it won't lock up - you don't want to lock-up going into a turn.

Finally, traction = consistancy. Just like in real racing, go as fast as you can without breaking traction (as much as possible ) sliding the car around every turn is not the fastest way around the track-

good luck and keep practicing ! use the force Luke!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

it might also help to put a little negative expo on the steering (-20% on your radio) so the minor steering adjustments in the straight aren't so jerky. That helped me alot.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Remember

SLOW IS FAST
Originally Posted by burnineyes
Do you have the RTR version or did you build the kit? The RTR out of the box should be a good neutral setup for most style off-road tracks, but it's always a good idea to double check all of the components to assure they are assembled correctly. Just a simple mis-adjustment could make the car difficult to drive.
Also I am not sure if you have a Nitro or Electric. Both can be tuned to be more forgiving, or less violent with the power. If you are already running a nitro I assume you know how to tune the engine properly, so a good option would be to tune the engine so that the initial throttle hit is not so powerful. With electric, the ESC is the brain and it can be tuned in multiple ways to change the way your motor performs. Make sure you become very familiar with the settings and exactly what they do, your car will thank you for it.

If you think the car is all in proper order, then get out there and go as slow as it takes to make it around without crashing. It can be frustrating to go really slow lap after lap, but before you know it you will be laying down faster laps, and by then you will have a good idea of what possible changes you would like to make.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok now most of these guys are telling you change your diff oils and do all these odds and ends. Well I’m fairly new to the 1/8 buggy’s too I’ve only been in for like 3 years. Being new to racing on dirt with loads of horse power is very hard to do. What I found works the best is slow is the new fast. If you know what I mean. If you can get around the track with out crashing going at your own pace is a lot faster then trying to go as fast as the guys that have been doing this for a while and crashing yourself? Let the guys that are faster past because if you let them past and they crash they are just going to end up behind you or even worse. (Broken) now the part I had the most trouble with is jumping as you might have too. Sometimes if you just go around the pits and ask what’s the best way to hit this jump or this jump consistently you will find that most racers are willing to help others. Also don’t try to go balls on the walls over jumps that you don’t need the extra power because about 90% of the time if you wheels are on the ground its a lot faster then being in the air and you don’t risk braking an A-arm or something like that.( these things are really far from the slashes haha) some parts that I found that you should probably change after ever race is the clutch bearings.(these's things take a real beating if you really think about it try to only get like 1$ bearings if you can). Also after a fun day racing take out all of the electronics, engine and fuel tank. ( a clean car is a happy car ) what I do with my engine is put after run oil in it after every race, it seems to help with compression and slow down wear. (W-D40 will work too) fell free to ask any other questions you may have. Just helping out one racer to the next.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok now most of these guys are telling you change your diff oils and do all these odds and ends. Well I’m fairly new to the 1/8 buggy’s too I’ve only been in for like 3 years. Being new to racing on dirt with loads of horse power is very hard to do. What I found works the best is slow is the new fast. If you know what I mean. If you can get around the track with out crashing going at your own pace is a lot faster then trying to go as fast as the guys that have been doing this for a while and crashing yourself? Let the guys that are faster past because if you let them past and they crash they are just going to end up behind you or even worse. (Broken) now the part I had the most trouble with is jumping as you might have too. Sometimes if you just go around the pits and ask what’s the best way to hit this jump or this jump consistently you will find that most racers are willing to help others. Also don’t try to go balls on the walls over jumps that you don’t need the extra power because about 90% of the time if you wheels are on the ground its a lot faster then being in the air and you don’t risk braking an A-arm or something like that.( these things are really far from the slashes haha) some parts that I found that you should probably change after ever race is the clutch bearings.(these's things take a real beating if you really think about it try to only get like 1$ bearings if you can). Also after a fun day racing take out all of the electronics, engine and fuel tank. ( a clean car is a happy car ) what I do with my engine is put after run oil in it after every race, it seems to help with compression and slow down wear. (W-D40 will work too) fell free to ask any other questions you may have. Just helping out one racer to the next.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.