Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend a kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Recommend a kit

I've built object-avoiding, micro-computer controlled, battery-powered robots (not R/C's) and model cars.

I want to get into RC cars. Not necessarily for racing, just some light off-road cars I can take in my yard and tease my dog/cats.

Does anyone have any recommendations for kits? I'd like something that is upgradeable, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

a good starter kit would be like a Traxxas Slash truck.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
a good starter kit would be like a Traxxas Slash truck.
+1
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To be clear, do you want a kit as in one you have to build from the parts or are you ok with a RTR? If kit is more your style, I might suggest the SC10 kit as an alternative. It costs about $175 new, plus cost of electronics. Otherwise seconding their suggestion.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jauntyfedora
To be clear, do you want a kit as in one you have to build from the parts or are you ok with a RTR? If kit is more your style, I might suggest the SC10 kit as an alternative. It costs about $175 new, plus cost of electronics. Otherwise seconding their suggestion.
I want to build from parts. Wiring and soldering is not out of the question.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

I found this on craigslist about 30 miles from my home.
Traxaas Jato nitro car. Comes with starter and radio. Has 2-speed transmission.Will run 65 + MPH. $250.00 NO TRADES.
I have two questions.

1. Would this be a good starter car for me?

2. I assume there are people who swear by nitro and those who swear by electric. What are the pros and cons of each?

Again I want a car that I will be able to upgrade/tweek and have a strong electronics background, but limited engine background (but willing to learn).
Old 04-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That thing(Jato) is for drag racing. Try a AR B-44. Or if looking at bang for buck look into an OFNA rig.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

for a first RC car/truck, stay with electric. That way you don't have to learn to drive AND tune a motor at the same time. I am a huge nitro fan, but electric is the way to go for a beginner. I worked in a hobby store in Phoenix, years ago, and whenever we couldn't talk a Noob into electric and they bought nitro, we knew we would see them again becuase they couldn't get it to run/stay running.

So, stay with electric until you are comfortable at the wheel, then bring on the Nitro!

Scott
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

or bring on the brushless electric setup! I have been in the hobby for years, and just dont prefer nitro. I had quite a few of them in my 10+ years at this, two years ago gave another a try, I just cant get into it. I have low maintenance, double the power, and tons of speed in a nice brushless/lipo setup.

Either way I would not recommend the Jato, however any of the traxxas other cars are a great way to start, however are not kits. The SC10 is a cool kit, and has that short course styling. Shame that there are not that many good kits anymore, everyone pops out RTRs.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stick with electric. Nitro is going the way of the dodo.

Just kidding nitro guys.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by sdphilips
for a first RC car/truck, stay with electric. That way you don't have to learn to drive AND tune a motor at the same time. I am a huge nitro fan, but electric is the way to go for a beginner. I worked in a hobby store in Phoenix, years ago, and whenever we couldn't talk a Noob into electric and they bought nitro, we knew we would see them again becuase they couldn't get it to run/stay running.

So, stay with electric until you are comfortable at the wheel, then bring on the Nitro!

Scott
+1 no nitro for a new guys i was new once to and nitro almost pushed me out of the hobby!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

In my opinion it really depends on were what and how you wanna drive your RC.

I know probably not what your looking for but a blast to built is AX-10.Or. scale rides such as hi-lux building axles Ext' as well with as scale builds you can kinda go your own way!
can go from mild to wild! Such as this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGGF...layer_embedded

The SC truck kits would also be a blast to built like jauntyfedora said! Sc10 as well as blitz comes in kit form!
But if you want something you can really go fast pretty much anywhere get you a vxl stampede ! With there unlimited supply of parts and HUGE fan fallowing the possibility's are endless.. Down side would be it is a pre-built R/C but ! You can always take it apart and add things that are more your style or just take it apart and rebuild it. Slam it into a curb at full speed off the house in the grass at the park anywhere!! great fun ! and drive anywhere design makes it my number one pic ! for the first rc!
Some people may disagree with my 2 cents. But every new guy that has gotten a stampede that i know LOVES IT !!!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ride1226
or bring on the brushless electric setup! I have been in the hobby for years, and just dont prefer nitro. I had quite a few of them in my 10+ years at this, two years ago gave another a try, I just cant get into it. I have low maintenance, double the power, and tons of speed in a nice brushless/lipo setup.

Either way I would not recommend the Jato, however any of the traxxas other cars are a great way to start, however are not kits. The SC10 is a cool kit, and has that short course styling. Shame that there are not that many good kits anymore, everyone pops out RTRs.
I agree 100%

I re-started RC driving after a long hiatus with a Big Block Revo, and fiddleing around with the motor took all the fun out of it. I am running 1/8 electric buggy and a stock Slash and I am having WAY more fun.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Initiate

if you like soldering and building i would get into electric for 1 like every 1 said less maintenance and if you want you can even put some lights on them well nitro you can to but probably easy and more room for that stuff on electric and then if you want to go fast just get into the brushless, i run nitro but i wouldnt mind getting into electric 1 of these days

Last edited by datsun510T; 04-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default try a pede.

I think you sound like a person who would love a traxxas Stampede 30+MPH Monster truck RTR for around $200 not bad huh. Tuff truck and gobs of fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.