Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Swap for Traxxas Nitro Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Engine Swap for Traxxas Nitro Sport

Alright Guy's and Gals, I've had my Traxxas Nitro Sport SE, for close to 4-5 years now, I am getting tired of the .15 in there, I am looking to upgrade to a 2.5 or 3.3. Would be more logical to get a 2.5 or a 3.3? my max speed on the .15 is around 30 mph, I figure i could get up to 45-60 with either a 2.5 or 3.3.

I know I am gonna need suspension upgrades, is there anything else? I am also considering swapping into the new remote controls they have now for them. any other ideas post them up please.

Or would it be a better idea to bump up to a rustler or 3.3 revo? I though about the Jato, but I don't wanna pay out the ass for something like that right now. the engine is only a 100 bucks plus the suspension parts are cheap etc.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

by what u have planned looks like ur gonna be spending alot more money then just paying a little more a getting a jato. the motor plus the new electronics u want to get will be probally close to 200 right there then suspension and other stuff ur at half the price or more of a new jato
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Yea, well I am looking to upgrade my suspension first, they be the only thing, then I may save for a JATO.

Just Curious will Integy parts work with my truck? I am looking at these for suspension LXXYS2. I heard most parts are swappable from the Rustler and Nitro Sport SE.

I wanna upgrade my rear shock tower as well, I upgraded to the RPM one when mine broke a couple years ago, just want something that will take slightly more abuse.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Integy parts should work for ur truck but are gonna weigh ur truck down due to them being aluminum and then are more expensive when u bend them or something. As for ur rear shock tower are u sure u want to replace it RPM is a great brand and last i knew not sure if it is still going on but RPM has a lifetime warranty if the part breaks and also is alot cheaper so i would stay with that but thats just me
Old 04-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Integy generally uses soft alum for their stuff and its great for shelf queens, but bends too easy if you're going to run with it. RPM is better way to go, their plastic has nylon added to it making it a little more flexible than regular plastic. Integy wouln't be my choice for something I wanted to take more abuse.

Jumping from .15 to a 2.5 or 3.3 - you'll need better clutch (easy fix) and may have drive traing issues with drive axles and diffs with the added power and torque - these will be harder issues to fix. Also will need re-gaering to take advantrage of the added power.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Integy generally uses soft alum for their stuff and its great for shelf queens, but bends too easy if you're going to run with it. RPM is better way to go, their plastic has nylon added to it making it a little more flexible than regular plastic. Integy wouln't be my choice for something I wanted to take more abuse.

Jumping from .15 to a 2.5 or 3.3 - you'll need better clutch (easy fix) and may have drive traing issues with drive axles and diffs with the added power and torque - these will be harder issues to fix. Also will need re-gaering to take advantrage of the added power.
thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Just Upgraded my Remote Control today to the 2.4 GHZ, haven't tried it out, it got late when I started.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

aluminum is better to have on the nitro sport with the 2.5 in it because all it does is wheelie and the aluminum will give it the extra weight to not wheelie as much because when it wheelies you will strip alot of diffs
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by crawlerguy220
aluminum is better to have on the nitro sport with the 2.5 in it because all it does is wheelie and the aluminum will give it the extra weight to not wheelie as much because when it wheelies you will strip alot of diffs
thanks, It seems to be cheaper to go with a motor. the truck alone is 380, so money wise I should just get a motor. If anything Ill just go with the 2.5. the difference between the 2.5 and 3.3 is very minimal from what I am reading.