Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
On Road RC Help! >

On Road RC Help!

On Road RC Help!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Questions?? On Road RC Help!

thanks for checking out my SOS. I just got into RC this january and have a few off-roaders and am now looking to get an on-road electric roller.
I'm not sure where to begin other than knowing I'm learning quickly and am developing an eye for quality stuff. it doesn't have to be losi, I have kyosho, and a couple traxxas also, and am open to any quality rc car maker.
If anyone could point me in the right direction regarding some easy-to-maintenance on road cars with options for upgrades and tuning I'd greatly appreciate your time.

I also really dig the f1 look.

thanks!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I too was in your situation about 3 weeks ago. But to answer your question, I would need a little more info, such as:

Do you want a ready to run, or are you OK with building a kit?

What scale? 1/10?

Are you on a budget?

One thing to consider as well is parts support, as anyone will tell you. If your local hobby shop, or favorite online seller, does not carry parts for the car you are interested in, then you might want to consider a different car/manufacturer.

Generally speaking, parts support is good for Associated, Losi, Tamiya, and HPI with most US online retailers, to name a few. And, while the XRay line of on-road cars are considered to be the best quality and easy to work on, they are more expensive and parts are less abundant than the aforementioned.

I'd like to hear other opinions as well...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

No, the first question needs to be "what are you planning on doing with it". Just like offroad, there are far too many types to recommend without knowing what your goal is.

For example, somebody who wants to drift a RTR would get a fastly different recommendation than somebody who wants to compete locally at their favorite onroad carpet track.

So... we need more info.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

yea more info needed...do you plan on bashing in an parking lot or you plan on racing for the comp?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

thanks a lot!
I want to be able to race comp but also be able to set up some cones and practice in a decent parking lot but am not into drifting.
track availability would weigh into the carpet racer idea.

maybe i should get 2? (1 for bashing, 1 for serious track stuff)

budget... so so, I'm guessing a used roller would work? I wouldn't mind putting a kit together. I'm not against either. I'm used to 1/10 scale, but I just read about a 1/12 scale?

I'm also looking for tune-ability. I'm hearing a lot of good things about HPI and I've heard the owner's a pretty cool dude too.

thanks again!

mojo, what did you end up with 3 weeks ago?

Last edited by losiowner; 03-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiowner
mojo, what did you end up with 3 weeks ago?
I just re-read your post, and you did mention wanting a roller, so my question about whether you wanted a ready to run is moot. If you are considering running your car on a less-than clean-swept paved area, then you might be better off with a car with a drive shaft as opposed to belt drive. Belt drive cars have more open drivetrains, where pebbles can wreak havoc. Shaft drive cars generally have more closed drivetrains.

Anyway, I ended up buying two used rollers...an Associated Factory Team TC4 (the Associated touring car prior to the release of the TC5 series), and a TC5R (a TC5 tuned for racing with rubber tires).

Neither car is going to be for bashing. The TC4 will be for VTA (Vintage Trans Am), and the TC5R will be for Touring car and RCGT classes. I intend to race both cars on carpeted tracks.