Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brake-in problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default brake-in problem

hi every one i'm new at this and i got my car in yesterday in the afternoon and i have a break-in problem with my buggy i got a Jammin x1x sport RTR 1/8th buggy and it will not stay running what so ever, every time i would prime my car if would start for about 2 seconds or so and it would just die it seems like there is no fuel getting into my engine for some reason, but every time i prime the engine it starts then dies down slowly like i was running out of batteries or something, i checked my glow plug starter and glow plug and it was glowing strong and bright, my batteries are all new, i checked my book and i made sure all the needles are factory set and tried it again but same results the only time it would start for a couple seconds is if i primed the engine, any idea on what i can do or any advice on what it could be and how to solve the problem??

please help

thank you
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Assuming you are priming it and seeing fuel move up to the carb inlet, then there has to be a blockage at the carb inlet where the fuel should enter. It needs to be taken off and taken apart and inspected for trash.

The other thing - make sure there is not a leak in teh pressure line from muffler to tank. If the tank is not getting pressurized, it won't stay running either. A leak in this line will prevent priming from working too, so if you can prime it and see fuel moving, the lines are good. This also requires a good tank seal - I'd also check the tank lid.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It can be a little tricky getting your first nitro to work right. Make double-extra sure that all of the carb settings are exactly as the manual says they should be to start with. If you mess with them at all, it's very easy to get to a spot where it won't run.

If you still have trouble, head down to the LHS where you bought it (right? ) and they'll be glad to help you...after all, this is why we all support our LHS's!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Rookie

ok thank you, i'm wishing i bought it from my LHS, but i made sure all the settings are set as factory settings, and how do i check if there's a air leak??
Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Go and buy fuel line you will need to replace it often any ways, buy the clear line so you can see if it has air bubbles in it. I would also say get your self some new glow plugs like Odonnells #100 plugs ofna engines like them.

Take your time braken in you engine never leave the piston at top dead center and read the tuneing bible on this forum it will help you learn faster. I like byorns fuel it runs clean and cool and makes my engines last and always keep your air filter oiled and clean.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

if it is brand new ...it is not likely the mtr needs to be taken apart ...when breaking in motors it is sometimes necessary to lean(turn clockwise) the low speed needle to get it running ...DO NOT turn the low speed needle more than 1 hour at a time ...meaning look at the needle as if it were a clock ...lean the low speed needle 1 small hour at a time until it will idle without dying ...it is a good idea to mark with a sharpie marker where you started as a reference point ...if you have to lean the low speed needle more than a quarter or half a full turn ...you may want to check your pressure line going from the pipe to the tank....this is a common thing to have to do when getting up and going for the first few times ....if you adjust the idle screw TO much it can give a false sense of running or idling right ...you should be able to get it going ,,,but you may have to readjust once you get through the first couple of tanks ....the stock settings are ALWAYS way on the rich side ...just take your time and be patient ..the more patient you are the less problems you will have
Old 02-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...eak-bible.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ing-bible.html
Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ok first things first dont go out and buy parts cause some one says to you can check the fuel tank and lines. It simple just pull the tank out of the car with the fuel lines. put a screw in the line where it connects to you carb then submerge the tank and line in the sink and blow through the one line to presurize it then if you c air bubbles coming from the line or tank replace them. also when you start it if its blowing alot of smoke and unspent fuel out its rich give the high end needle a half turn in and c if it fires and runs if it runs longer and better then your goin the right way. same goes for if it seems lean (theres really no smoke and engine seems to be revving) just give it a half turn out. most new engines you usually have to lean them some as there getting to much fuel and choking out. also make shure your heating your motor up with a heat gun before hand cause if your not the settings might be great where there at but theres just to much pinch that it stops the engine. This is also very bad for the rod it will wear it out alot quicker.