Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mini Cooper

The first RC car that I purchased was a M03L almost a year ago. I realized and learned a ton over the past year. I've noticed that several of the racers have upgraded to the M05. I know that I can't kep up with them in driving skill but was wondering if I should upgrade???? Any advantages in the upgrade to the M05?
Here is the rookie question..... I have never done anything with my motor other than break it in per protocol of my local hobby shop. Any suggestions?? I'm slow in the straight away!!!! Since the M05 is different in design, can it offer different bodies than the M03L? Sorry for all the questions..... just love the class!!!!

Thanks,
CB
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

your best bet would be to check out the on-road section under Tamiya Mini. Seek the wisdom of Tony, Cal, and most of those guys. I also drive a M-03 Rover and have been hesitant about going w/M-05 but might have to. Heard alum. parts are the way to go as the kit parts break/twist under load. I set mine up w/a bit droop in the Ft, add wt to make it 13-1500 gms, 4000 2s, and tire choice is never ending depending on track condition of course.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can still make an m03 haul if you set it up right. Is it box stock, or have you done things like bearings, played around with pinion size etc? lipo batteries will also help a lot for speed if you don't already have 'em. I'd personally work with the m03.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

bearings are a must have and that is one of the 1st changes made. Also setup w/26mm foams all the way around. Currently a Castle Mamba 7700 lives in it w/stock gearing, TRF shocks, blue springs up front and yellows in the back, and it gets its' "go" from a 2s 4000 Lipo. It'll do close to 45mph. Cloned it from a Suzuki Swift I found in RCcar action. Race setup is a bit different.
-Eric
Old 01-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The M-03 and M-05 have the same gear ratio, so speed should be the same. You might want to try a new motor (540J) especially if the one that came with your kit isn't one. I believe most "kit motors" are 540SH and are different and slower.

Second, unless you gotta have the latest and greatest, you won't really benefit from having an M-05. It might have a slightly lower center of gravity but that's about it.

Lastly, they both share the same bodies.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

yes indeed both are very similiar;M05 steering linkage is different. The kit M03 comes w/Silver can and it's either hit or miss getting a decent one, same w/black cans and everything else-1 reason I'm a bit reluctant 'bout getting another since my M03 is already setup and after getting into off-road, really don't want to put more $$$ for a M05 and some speed/handling goodies. Makes sense to me-
Old 02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi CB,

I would upgrade. These might help you go faster:

1. Low roof body if your club allows it (e.g. Mazda Miata). Aerodynamic.
2. Strongest battery (e.g. Orion 4000/25C)
3. Strong esc (e.g. LRP Quantum, KO Propo, Novak GTX)
4. Driving momentum leading into the straightaway.
5. Motor breakin and maintenance.
6. Car maintenance (e.g. clean ball bearings).
7. Make your car as lightweight as possible. Mine is at 1,200grms.

More Tamiya M05 Tuning Tips

hope this helps. have fun.