Search

Grease Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Grease Question

Noob here...

y hobby shop has HPI and Traxxas grease. the Traxxas comes in a tiny tube and the HPI comes in a small container with a small dollop (about the size of a nickle) of grease. They were both over 3$ for that tiny amount of grease. I know this is an expensive hobby and it's only 3$ but damn!!!

My question is will grease from the auto parts (or other place) work just as well for the gears and such? I can get a pound of grease from auto store for the same price.

Are there any types i should stay away from (e.g. lithium, brake caliper grease, etc.)
Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

There are basically two types of grease for RC cars, differential and gear grease. For inside of ball differentials and gear differentials you should use only use differential grease. For the gears you could use moly grease that you buy from autoparts store. Regular automitive grease shouldn't be used unless all the gears are metal in the gearbox. It may be too thick also.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

try to avoid automotive greases in your rc car. they are eventually not suitable for rc applications..
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Toh WL
try to avoid automotive greases in your rc car. they are eventually not suitable for rc applications..
I run all metal gears with mobil one synthetic grease and works great