Wiki Posts
Search

Rechargeable batteries for radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Rechargeable batteries for radio

Just got a Traxxas Slash 1/10. Nice basher! Also this is my first RC ride. So far its pretty cool.

Looking for some suggestions on rechargeable batteries for my radio? Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

your best bet would probably to get those 10 or 12 packs of Energizers (for ex) at Rite aid, Wal-Mart, etc. The rechargeable ones are a tad larger and don't really fit in the bottom of radio. I have both and the ones you replace seem to work better/last longer
Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thats the Energizers, they are getting a rep for not holding a charge very long. I got a new set of 2500mah AA rechargeable Energizer with a car I traded for (they were still in the pkg) and they won't hold a charge for mor ethan a few days. They do fine right off the charger, but lose charge way sooner than my other rechargeable AAs do.

I have a digicam and use Powerex rechargeable AAs and they are much, much better. I've used them in Txs and they do last longer than alkalines. I think with Energizers, you get what you pay for. I've converted to using lipos in my Txs, but if I was buying rechargeable AAs, I'd get the new tech ones that hold charge for much, much longer than the ordinary ones - they're calling them 'ultra low self discharge AAs', like these -

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

HobbyCity sells them too -

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10456
Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

We use Fujino 2300's and they work great. I have some older Energizer 2000 and 2500's and those fit fine in the transmitters and seem to have about the same usable time as the Fujino's from the hobby shop. The new rechargable energizers are only rated at 1700 or 1800 mah so I'd shy away from those.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

i've been using the same set of Energizer Lithium AA's in my radio for over a year, and they still show 12V. don't know why anyone messes with rechargables.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

maybe I wasn't clear: I meant the Energizer AA batts-Lithium ones are even better. I agree about the rechargable ones: for me they just don't make the grade.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Lord

Sorry, but wasn't clear, at least to me. The blk/grn Energizer rechargeables are poor, I wouldn't waste money of them. Eneloops are the way to go if you want rechargeables.

I bought 120 of the energizer lithiums from a guy here way cheap and with a few exceptions their voltage is the highest I've seen, 1.73-1.76v. They don't seem to go any longer than Duracels in high drain electronics though, maybe my headphone amp is just a batt hog. Def worth what I paid for them!

I don't know anybody using AAs in tx anymore, been using lipos for almost 3yrs.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

I see what you are saying and I agree Duster. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he originally say he bought a Slash? I don't remember reading anything about what kind of radio he has?- I'm making a crucial mistake "assuming" the radio is original equipment? What kind of radio are we talking about here?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Lord

Its his 1st rc so I think its a safe assumption thats its a traxxas TQ AM radio....

That is setup to use 8 AAs. I've seen mods to get around the tray, but think its wasted effort in this case. Buy 8 eneloops (will need a charger obviously) and you're going to be set.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

great minds think alike;Thanks hey. I think all who have responded to this post have offered enough info for a desicion.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bowl806
I see what you are saying and I agree Duster. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he originally say he bought a Slash? I don't remember reading anything about what kind of radio he has?- I'm making a crucial mistake "assuming" the radio is original equipment? What kind of radio are we talking about here?
You guys know already! I'm a rookie. It's the RTR Slash and its the TQ radio. Gonna learn how to bash the ride before I get crazy with upgrades.

Seems to me the consensus is to stay with regular batts? I'm using Energizer Lithiums right now. I've been pretty loyal to those for all my other geek gear. They are pretty solid.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

yeah just go for regular AA batts and it'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by el_Fernando
You guys know already! I'm a rookie. It's the RTR Slash and its the TQ radio. Gonna learn how to bash the ride before I get crazy with upgrades.

Seems to me the consensus is to stay with regular batts? I'm using Energizer Lithiums right now. I've been pretty loyal to those for all my other geek gear. They are pretty solid.
see post#5 above