Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking Soldering advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Seeking Soldering advice

Hello all...I have been working with Deans plugs switched over from Tamiya...my question is...when i heat the connectors for doing the solder they seem to adjust enough that it makes it difficult to plug and unplug...

Im not keeping heat on them for much time it seems but it's still pretty difficult to connect and unconnect...

From what i have seen it's ill advised to solder why connected so am i just going to need more practice or do you know of any good tips/advice with this?

THanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The reason they tell you not to solder while connected is so that you do not short anything out. But either way, if the poles are moving enough that they have trouble going together then you are getting them too hot. If you have to hold your iron on any connection for more than a few seconds then you can do damage.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah i must be holding it too long...my solders come out super clean but i need to be quicker. i just did it again and this time it's much better. still not as easy to plug/unplug as the tamiya tho but even straight from the pack it's pretty stiff i guess.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dean are supposed to be hard to get apart. When you're soldering, use the opposite deans on the one you're soldering - it will keep the contacts from moving if they get too hot. Like when doing a female deans for a batt, plug a male into it, this will also give you a place to hold it. This keep the contacts lined up. Try a pair of unsoldered deans - plug and unplug them, if yours are harder, you've had some contact movement due to overheating.

Secret to Deans is to pre-tin everything, the wire and the contact you're soldering too. Then putting wire on the contact is only a matter of melting the solder toigether and this should take just a few secs.

Also with female deans, start with the pos - its inside and easier to do 1st.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Dean are supposed to be hard to get apart. When you're soldering, use the opposite deans on the one you're soldering - it will keep the contacts from moving if they get too hot. Like when doing a female deans for a batt, plug a male into it, this will also give you a place to hold it. This keep the contacts lined up. Try a pair of unsoldered deans - plug and unplug them, if yours are harder, you've had some contact movement due to overheating.

Secret to Deans is to pre-tin everything, the wire and the contact you're soldering too. Then putting wire on the contact is only a matter of melting the solder toigether and this should take just a few secs.

Also with female deans, start with the pos - its inside and easier to do 1st.
youre right, the pre-tin i had done before was not good...I picked up a helping hand, and started keeping the tip clean...big difference, solders look super clean and it's no harder to connect than out of the pack

thanks again for the advice, helped a ton!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

pre-tinning is the key, along with getting some "soldering FLUX" as it helps the solder melt easier and flow smoother so it makes the joint faster
Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.