total noob with batteries! help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

total noob with batteries! help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default total noob with batteries! help!

hi guys,
i recently bought a new car that came with a 5 cell receiver battery pack that's rated at 1100 MAh, i think its a Nimh cell.

in addition i've got some basic AA size rechargeable batteries in my DX3S

question, what charger can i use to charge both?

wot's this thing about charge rate, output and stuff..

is the Spektrum brand dual output charger a good choice?
here
input AC 100 - 240V
output 15mA [both leads/charging port]
cause i've got a charging port in the dx3s to charge my batteries and my rx batt pack's kinda hard to reach and comes with a switch with an additional port/lead which i have no idea wot its use is. i was thinking maybe it could be a lead for charging the batt pack without removing it

really need help!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You're right - the switch with the extra lead is for charging without removing the rx pac. Its one of the things I change when I get a new RC that has a rx pac. The only thing to be sure about when charging is to be sure switch is off while its charging.

AAs and rx pacs which are built using what are called 2/3a cells (they are about 2/3 of the length of a AA) charge a lot a like. They don't like high charge rates and will get very hot. I charge both at 0.5amp to 1.0 amps max. These are prob NiMh cells and although that wall charger you linked will charge them, it will not peak them. NiMHs show a small increase in voltage as they come to 100% charge and a Peak charger has the ability to detect this peak and then shut the charge down. The wall wort style charger just keep cramming millamps into teh cells without stopping until you pull the plug. This is more of a deal with the rx pac.

You prob should get a decent charger since every thing you do in this hobby will involve batteries in some form or another. I use AAs in cameras and flashes as well and use special chargers for them but with a stock type 4 cell holder like you find in an rx box, you can charge them on a rc type charger.

I'd look at something like a thunder ac-6 thats being advertised here - been good feedback on the ones that have been bought on here.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

They sell another that's a little cheaper and it will work as well.