Wiki Posts
Search

Question about how to do wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Question about how to do wheel alignment

Ok, so I have this Associated SC10 truck, and it had adjustable camber all around, and adjustable toe in the front. And I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to properly align the wheels.

From my reading, I think I want about 1 degree of negative camber all around, and just a little bit of toe in on the front wheels. Is there some sort of kit cheaper than the $150 one most people seem to have? Because without it, I'm just eyeballing it.

Sure it drives straight and looks 'about right' but I'm hoping there's a better way to do this. Suggestions?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You can set camber using anything square like an ipod or soda can to get to 0, then eyeball it from there. 1mm gap from the can at the top of the tire is about 1 degree negative. AE and others make inexpensive plastic camber gauges for a couple of bucks that are pretty easy to use.

For toe you can use a ruler to set front toe to 0. 1mm more on the rear than the front should be just shy of 1 degree toe-in. Measure from the outside edge at the front and rear of the tires to make sure they're the same. Rear toe-in is set using hub carriers with specific degrees marked on them
Old 11-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

RPM makes a camber gage - two sizes, one MT sized tires/wheels and non MT. They're what I use. I use a ruler for toe in/out, tried a gage for that and maybe its good for onroad, found it not too helpful for offroad.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hmm, ok, That sounds easy enough. Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to try the ruler thing.. but it's a great idea. Much appreciated.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

you don't want toe-in on the front... if anything, somewhere between 0 and +1 toe out in the front.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
you don't want toe-in on the front... if anything, somewhere between 0 and +1 toe out in the front.
while I myself use toe-out, it is a "tuning option" and personal preference sort of thing. some people like it, some don't
Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When doing camber or toe angles changes make sure to leave the car on. This way your camber and toe-angles wont change. Toe-out or toe-in can be adjusted and effects steering entry and exit out of a corner. It also will effect on and off power stability. Camber angles will effect handling through corners etc.