R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   New to the sport (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/345352-new-sport.html)

racer64 11-19-2009 01:47 PM

New to the sport

I was looking around for answers when I decided to just join and ask the questions I needed. I have had a few truck when I was younger but never raced. Ive raced fourwheelers since I was 13. Now that im in college I cant risk getting hurt and missing school so I think this will fill my racing needs. I have bought a few RC magazines and have seen the buzz about the short course trucks. Since in college I dont have a ton as in thousands of dollars to put into a race truck.I guess what im asking is what kind of truck can I get that will allow me to race as much as possible and maybe even have some bigger event racing because I love the idea of going head to head with the best. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Cory

bowl806 11-19-2009 02:07 PM

Welcome to this site Cory! Traxxas Slash. www.towerhobbies.com There are many others besides Tower. Get yourself a 5000 lipo, charger that balances, ext. Lipo warning alarm(something you plug in to the batt to warn you when batt is getting low) or even a 5000Nimh, some AA batts for the radio(8) and you're good to go. The thing is pretty durable, tons of fun and can be bashed or raced. You probably seen there are any number of suggestions found on this site offering setups re:gearing, tires, upgrades, etc.: most are good!--Eric

Duster_360 11-19-2009 02:26 PM

Check your area tracks and see what they offer for Slash racing - is it spec or do they allow some limited mods? Local rules will govern what you want to get with the Slash.

Slash would be the cheapest, quality RTR RC to get started with.

BrodieMan 11-19-2009 05:37 PM

HPI BLITZ SHORT COURSE TRUCK

read the Blitz thread in the Off-Road section, you will see it's highly respected by racers and bashers alike. Slash is a race-able basher, Blitz is a bash-able racer IMO

HPI Blitz
Tower Hobbies Price: 194.97 USD
Payment Plan: 3 payments of 64.99
Ready to Run

Freakin great deal

racer64 11-23-2009 03:25 PM

Question

If I go with the slash should I get the 4x4 or 4x2?

bowl806 11-23-2009 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by racer64 (Post 6634810)
If I go with the slash should I get the 4x4 or 4x2?

a lot of people have the 2wd drive Slash since the 4x4 is so new. Depends if you race or bash also. Both are race worthy but it seems like there are more 2wd slash brackets. 2wd is a lot cheaper ($$$ wise) I have 2 Slashes 1 VXL powered and the other w/MM4600 Love em both:D

bowl806 11-23-2009 05:08 PM

forgot to add--Duster 360 is right "Check your area tracks and see what they offer for Slash racing - is it spec or do they allow some limited mods? Local rules will govern what you want to get with the Slash.

Slash would be the cheapest, quality RTR RC to get started with."

BrodieMan 11-23-2009 06:13 PM

4WD is awesome but it's more expensive and more maintenance. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have some experience with RC it should not prove too difficult. Really depends on how much you like building in my opinion.

racer64 11-23-2009 06:20 PM

Thank you all for your inputs

racer64 11-23-2009 07:21 PM

what do you all think about an sc 10 ive seen people talk about them being the most racey of all the short course trucks. After getting familiar my goal is definitly to get out there racing.

BrodieMan 11-23-2009 08:30 PM

The SC10 is based off of the T4 competition truck chassis so in terms of racing pedigree it's probably the most competitive SC truck. That being said (:ha: any Curb Your Enthusiasm fans will understand:lol:) the SC10 is not the most durable (from what I've read) compared to the Slash, Strike, Blitz. If racing is your prerogative than SC10 for sure. If you want more durability and bashability than the Blitz. Strike has great suspension but I'm a bit turned off of losi at the moment (personal bias I suppose) IMO the Slash started all the Short Course hype but it's not the best available now and it is more geared towards bashing. I'm a 4wd guy so I'm leaning towards a Hyper SC10 but if I got a 2wd it would be a Blitz 100% and when they release a kit Blitz I most likely will pick one up:tire: I don't think you would be disappointed by any SC truck on the market right now, they all look pretty sweet.

racer64 11-23-2009 10:42 PM

Thank you for taking the time to get me some info

Cory

xl8er 11-23-2009 11:25 PM

welcome to hobby I would check out the local races and see what classes they race and also check you your local hobby shop and see what have in stock sometimes its easier to pick up part there than ordering it.

Jackster 11-24-2009 04:24 AM

The Blitz looks really good on the track! :nod: