Wiki Posts
Search

Mechanical Rotary Speed Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mechanical Rotary Speed Controller

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and am happy to have found this place as I am trying to get back into the hobby. I dug out my Kyosho 1:10 EP Corvette from my closet which has been sitting in there for a few years now. I really enjoyed this car and decided to take it back out and clean it up. To my surprise, my 7.2v pack was still able to be charged by my charger. I was running the car for a few minutes when my old school mechanical rotary speed controller got stuck. I smelled something burning and it was indeed, my speed controller. I opened it up and saw that one of the contacts got stuck and burned a hole right through the plastic that separated the neutral and reverse metal plates. Because of this, the contact would get stuck in that hole everytime I tried to go in reverse and wouldn't let my servo control arm move once stuck in there. I looked for a replacement all over the internet and could not find one. It seems like Mechanical Rotary Controllers are not even being used in the hobby anymore. Would it be possible to convert my system to an Electronic Speed System? If so, how would I go about doing this?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You definitely want to get rid of your mechanical speed control. The prices are so low on electronic speed controllers now that you can replace it for next to nothing. You will gain more power and runtime in the process.

Here is a low cost option that works pretty well.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAMN7&P=0

All you do is remove the MSC, and servo, then put this in place of them.
Of course not many low cost ESCs will handle a high power motor. If you want to upgrade that soon then you may want to look into a better ESC.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you. I will order this tonight.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Exact same happened to me.

you just described EXACTLLY what happened to my 95 Bandit; went up in smoke, and now it smells of burnt out electrics...

Last edited by Aced90; 06-01-2011 at 03:46 AM.