R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default charger - which one to buy?

Hello,
I found a cheap eRevo with a brushed motor including 2 LiPo 2S 20C batteries (5000mAh), but I still need a charger. I search already at this forum to find some hints, but maybe you can give me some recommendations as well.

It lloks that most charger are able to use either 110V at home or 12V AC at a track which is handy, but as usual there are cheap and expensive chargers. e.g. I found a ad here at the forum about a Sky Charger, but if I understand it correctly it can only charge up to 1A, so a LiPo with 5000mAh takes 5 hours? That sounds quite long...?
at hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html (as I am new I am not allowed to post a URL)

What is a good time to charge in average a battery, should it be as short as 30 minutes or is 4 hours normal? (I know it depends on the size of a battery, 1000mAh goes quicker than 8000mAh)

How much would you spend for a charger?

Thank you
espcarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

There are AC/DC chargers and DC only chargers. If youre charging at 1C charge rate (1C charge rate = capacity in mah/1000, for your 5000mah, 1C charge is 5000/1000 = 5 amps), it should take about an hour. Hobbypartz was not too generous with specs on the SkyCharger, but they do show a pic with it charging at 5amps. I'm guessing, but if its like most of the clones out there, its a 50watt charger and will charge at 5amps. Most of them do. I haven't seen any feedback on this one yet.

Another charger to consider is the ThunderAC6 that Hobbypartz sells also. There's been feedback on that one and it seems to be a reliable charger.

I spent $180 for my Hyperion 0610iNet charger, its a DC only charger. I charge 2S thru 6S with it at charge rates up to 10amps. Its a matter of what you need and want to do with a charger. I also have an Accucel-6 charger that cost $45 that I use only for 2S lipos and can take with me since its so small and lightweight. Nothing wrong with a cheap charger if it does teh job.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

It all depends on what you are going to be charging and also remember when buying the charger. That it is something you can "grow" into meaning if you decide to go brushless and want bigger cell batteries. You will be able to do so and not have to get another charger. I have these chargers and they fit all my needs. I would highly recommend the Venom charger as it comes with a balancer, it's own power supply and all the charging connectors that you will need.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...w-Power-Supply

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-LCD-Display

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...arger-Balancer
Trains and Lanes Racing http://tandlracing.com/
Dunn Raceway Park http://drprc.com
tom2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I've had good look with my accucell charger from hobbyking.com for 37$ And it took me a while to order it cause of how cheap there stuff is but now that's all I run, sold my other chargers and maxamps batterys, I recomend all there batteys and chargers,
Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
Tech Lord

If buying overseas and int'l shipping isn't something you want to do, these guys have 3 chargers and are based here. These are clones - copies of other proven charger designs. There are Thunder AC-6 owners here and its had good feedback. Their other 2 are pretty new and I haven't seen any feedback on either the Skycharger or the T6 Thunder.

I have several chargers and do own one of the HobbyCity Accucel-6 chargers that you can get from their US warehouse and avoid the int'l S&H business. It costs a little more that way, but its a solid, full fearured charger at a hard to beat price. It does need a power supply.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...(USA_Warehouse)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I want to get into lipo's but i dont know where to start? What charger do i need? Wat ESC do i need? Do I need a NEW speed control? How much r batterys? Im so lost and i dont want to spend a lot of money. HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Mr.Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Tech Lord

espcarino - some feedback from someone who has the skycharger you asked about - see reply #31 -

Anyone try the Thunder AC6 charger?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

espcarino,

good thing about lipos is that even cheap lipo chargers can do the job well. i personally use IMAX and LRP Pulsar 3. both do the job well, the IMAX much cheaper.

hope this helps.

p.s. please ensure you have good battery connectors. i found dirty deans would sometimes cause problems, with my LRP charging rate spiking up to 8amps on a 3amp setting. when i cleaned the connectors, charging was as expected.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Default Chargers

I mainly have Nitro cars with the exception of my RC18T. I use a Duratrax Ice charger to charge my Lipos. I'm ready to make a plunge and want to get an SC10 with a brushless setup and lipo's. I like my ICE charge but want to know if there are better chargers out there or if I should stick to the one that I have.
Ryans150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Tech Lord

The only prob with the Ice for lipos (or its cousin Team Checkpoint 1030) is it doesn't have a builtin balancer. The convienence of balance charging is very nice. I use 3 chargers that all have builtin balancers and its no diff than just charging except it balances at same time. I'd have to make an special effort to not balance with my 3 chargers.

I had an Ice and replaced it with a TC1030 when it died. I don't use it for lipos however, I use one of my 3 others. There are chargers that are more suited to lipo that feature storage mode and fast charge mode to make optimize care and lipo use. The Accucel-6 or the Thunder chargers sold by HobbyPartz have these features at a very affordable price.

If you don't mind dealing with a separate balancer, then keep using the Ice.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
The only prob with the Ice for lipos (or its cousin Team Checkpoint 1030) is it doesn't have a builtin balancer. The convienence of balance charging is very nice. I use 3 chargers that all have builtin balancers and its no diff than just charging except it balances at same time. I'd have to make an special effort to not balance with my 3 chargers.

I had an Ice and replaced it with a TC1030 when it died. I don't use it for lipos however, I use one of my 3 others. There are chargers that are more suited to lipo that feature storage mode and fast charge mode to make optimize care and lipo use. The Accucel-6 or the Thunder chargers sold by HobbyPartz have these features at a very affordable price.

I have an external balancer but your right it is a pain to have external devices. Thanks I'll take a look at those other chargers you mentioned
Ryans150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Tech Lord

You need to get a good charger that fits what you plan to charge with poss a little allowance for future plans. I've had to upgrade my charging equip x2 cause I didn't plan ahead very well.

If you have any ques or want an opinion let us know.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)

I have has good luck with my Bantam and my Venom pro...both have built in balancers...

They were both around $150 new.
92 vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Take a look at hobbypartz the Thunder AC6 is on sale now for under $40.00
welder101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post

there's no more need to balance your packs each time you charge them,
than there was a need to get your old-style NiMH batteries re-matched after every run.
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote