motor turns

Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default motor turns

What does the number of turns in the various motors mean? What is the significance between 12 turn and 21 turns?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

in short "turns" is in refference to the number of times a wire is wrapped around the armature. Generally the less number of "turns" the faster the motor
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

Number of Turns

Refers to how many times the copper wire is wound around each pole of the armature. Basic guide:

More Turns (e.g. 19T) = Higher torque, less rpm, longer battery life. Slower but easier to drive.

Less Turns (e.g. 12T) = Less torque, more rpm, shorter battery life. Faster but more difficult to drive.
Number of Winds

Besides the number of turns, the number of winds refer to the number of wires wound around the armature. Basic guide:

Single Wind = Most bottom end power. Power is achieved at lower rpms. For short racing tracks with a lot of turns.

Double / Triple / Quad = Less bottom end power. Power is achieved at higher rpms. For long racing tracks with long straights.

Turns

Turns refers to the number of times the copper wire has actually been revolved around the armature. The higher the number of turns greater is the torque generated and hence greater is the power delivered. However that also means less RPM rating for your rc car electric motor. Generally less turns are preferred for making the rc car run faster.

Winds

One or more copper wires are usually wound around the armature. The number of wires that are wound around the armature is called the wind of the motor. Sometimes the wind is increased in order to compensate for the torque lost by reducing the turns.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And:

Stock motor is always 27-turn single-wind armature with the endbell keyed to 24° of timing (relation of the brushes in the endbell to the magnets in the can). And if you want to play in ROAR's sandbox, it has to run bushings

Super stock is a 19-turn single with (I think) adjustable timing (although most people just refer to them as a "nineteen-turn motor"). You can also run ballbearings in a 19T

Modified is go nuts
Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? what motor to run

Thank alot for the info guys. So basically it is up to me what type motor to run based what type of track or application I am running the car in.

I assume ROAR has rules on this so no one individual has an advantage.

But can anyone ESC and Battery Pack handle any motor?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheeOriginal
Thank alot for the info guys. So basically it is up to me what type motor to run based what type of track or application I am running the car in.

Thanks
I could be wrong ROAR sets/makes motor rules to try and set a level playing field for racers of different abilities and to set guidlines for manufacturers to go by. Otherwise the only class you would have would basically be modified as every man. would make their xx motor faster than the next guy.

No not all esc's can handle any motor or battery. All esc's have a motor rating and voltage rating. Some esc's have an unlimited motor limit though.
If an esc has a motor limit you must run a motor at or above the limit.... If its motor limit is say 12 turns you must run a 12 turn or higher, 19t, 27t etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Bud
Tech Master

Default rule book

you can download the rule book here. http://www.roarracing.com/rules.php If you're racing it's nice to have a copy for a quick reference.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Loopedout, OTE--Thanks for posting that info! Was kind of curious about that myself re:winds/turns.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

This is a great thread with lots of information. Can someone also explain brushless ratings and if there is a simple way to correlate from brushed to brushless? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Take the brushless rating x 1.4 to approximate brushed equivalent.
Example: 13.5x1.4 = 18.9 so it's a 19T brushed equivalent.

No simple formula to convert the KV rated ones (7700) though.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up thanks

I want to thank everyone for their responses. It helps when looking at many different products in the hobby store and when talking to people. It also helps in knowing what to purchase my 7 year son. Nothing to HOT but enough to keep him interested and wanting to win. Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This was just what I was searching for - Thanks..!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thanks for this thread! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TheeOriginal

Thanks
This is the key to anything electrical..

You cant blow up a light bulb rated 1amp @ 12V with 10amp 12v DC transformer. But you can blow up a 1amp 12V transformer with a 10amp 12V lightbulb.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by loopedout
Number of Turns

Refers to how many times the copper wire is wound around each pole of the armature. Basic guide:

More Turns (e.g. 19T) = Higher torque, less rpm, longer battery life. Slower but easier to drive.

Less Turns (e.g. 12T) = Less torque, more rpm, shorter battery life. Faster but more difficult to drive.
Number of Winds

Besides the number of turns, the number of winds refer to the number of wires wound around the armature. Basic guide:

Single Wind = Most bottom end power. Power is achieved at lower rpms. For short racing tracks with a lot of turns.

Double / Triple / Quad = Less bottom end power. Power is achieved at higher rpms. For long racing tracks with long straights.

Turns

Turns refers to the number of times the copper wire has actually been revolved around the armature. The higher the number of turns greater is the torque generated and hence greater is the power delivered. However that also means less RPM rating for your rc car electric motor. Generally less turns are preferred for making the rc car run faster.

Winds

One or more copper wires are usually wound around the armature. The number of wires that are wound around the armature is called the wind of the motor. Sometimes the wind is increased in order to compensate for the torque lost by reducing the turns.
I love this explanation!!! Thanks!! By the way, can somebody explain the kvp in relation to turns as well?

Last edited by snuvet75; 04-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.