R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   Help with a decision (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/334972-help-decision.html)

LSAFAN580307 10-11-2009 08:12 PM

Help with a decision

Alright! My names Nick and I am currently looking into getting my first RC car/truck. I am wanting something I can play with on the street and also be able to take off into the grass as well. But what I am most looking forward to is tinkering, I want something customizable in looks and also perfromance. I do not want a 700$ already tricked out ride. Id like something from 200$ to 300$ dollars that is already good but I can add my own touches too. I like trucks but I am not throwing out buggies or cars.

JeromeK99 10-11-2009 08:29 PM

I'll be the first to say it!

Looks like a Traxxas Slash under $200 for the kit and radio, ready-to-run... add another $100 for battery and charger.. ready to go!

For a little more.. around $230, you can get the Losi Strike.. very similar truck with better electronics.. the speed control has LiPo cut-off and it comes with a 2.4ghz radio.. no crystals to mess with and no interference.

Good luck!

Jerome :tire::tire:

LSAFAN580307 10-11-2009 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JeromeK99 (Post 6460726)
I'll be the first to say it!

Looks like a Traxxas Slash under $200 for the kit and radio, ready-to-run... add another $100 for battery and charger.. ready to go!

For a little more.. around $230, you can get the Losi Strike.. very similar truck with better electronics.. the speed control has LiPo cut-off and it comes with a 2.4ghz radio.. no crystals to mess with and no interference.

Good luck!

Are they nitro? I failed to mention I am extremly intrested in Nitro. Any suggestions on nitro?

JeromeK99 10-11-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by LSAFAN580307 (Post 6460855)
Are they nitro? I failed to mention I am extremly intrested in Nitro. Any suggestions on nitro?

Doh!

No.. they are electric... If you want Nitro, you are going to have to spend a little more than $300 to get anything worth a darn... If you go cheap, you'll end up with a worthless piece of cr*p... and burn out of the hobby quickly.

Lets see if anybody else has and idea on what to look at.. I haven't seen any budget RTR nitro vehicles that I would recommend to anybody.

Sorry!

LSAFAN580307 10-11-2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JeromeK99 (Post 6461001)
Doh!

No.. they are electric... If you want Nitro, you are going to have to spend a little more than $300 to get anything worth a darn... If you go cheap, you'll end up with a worthless piece of cr*p... and burn out of the hobby quickly.

Lets see if anybody else has and idea on what to look at.. I haven't seen any budget RTR nitro vehicles that I would recommend to anybody.

Sorry!

I have done a little digging and found the Traxxas Nitro Sport and also S-maxx. They are affordable and seem to be what I am looking for, anyone have an opinion of these two?

racer1812 10-12-2009 06:52 AM

For a first nitro Traxxas is a pretty safe bet, just find one that is designed for what you want to do. Driving around in the street gets old fast but that's just my opinion.:D There's a million T-Maxx's running around out there.

Duster_360 10-12-2009 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by LSAFAN580307 (Post 6461093)
I have done a little digging and found the Traxxas Nitro Sport and also S-maxx. They are affordable and seem to be what I am looking for, anyone have an opinion of these two?

S-Maxx is now a 'legacy model' as TRX calls them (discontinued), while the Nitro Sport is current. Parts support is there for both, both are 2WD. Teh S-Maxx wasn't popular cause it was just 2WD, most that had them shortly realized they needed to be 4WD. I'd get the Nitro Sport, it think its better as being what it is (2WD) if that makes sense.

I've owned several T-Maxxes and whenever I've lost front wheel drive, I get a taste of what a S-Maxx would be like and for that platform, I don't care for it. Something that size, you need the help from 4WD to pull it around corners. Otherwise it has a bad push.

Rc Mudbogger 10-21-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by LSAFAN580307 (Post 6460637)
Alright! My names Nick and I am currently looking into getting my first RC car/truck. I am wanting something I can play with on the street and also be able to take off into the grass as well. But what I am most looking forward to is tinkering, I want something customizable in looks and also perfromance. I do not want a 700$ already tricked out ride. Id like something from 200$ to 300$ dollars that is already good but I can add my own touches too. I like trucks but I am not throwing out buggies or cars.

I think that electric is a very cheap way to get into the sport and plus some of the models you can tune to do faster then the nitro models, i have a traxxas slash for bashing, a traxxas rustler vxl currently set for 50+, a traxxas street sport for on road driving, a losi mini desert truck, a mini raminator. They are all electric, very fun to drive but the one that handles the best and can do lots to i would choose the rustler vxl. My local hobby shop sells it for i think around $230

B4power 10-21-2009 01:38 PM

I would purpose the rustler, stampede or slash because they are all customisable. If you get one of those models you could get a good Bl system with lipo and put some aftermarket aluminum upgrades. If you want a buggy I would suggest the AE RC10 B4, it handles great and is a fun Buggy to race and drive around.

Mr GoodCat 10-21-2009 06:24 PM

When I bought my first rc I was told one golden rule ALWAYS get a 4 X 4 ..... Traxxas has the Slayer it is nitro,4wd,plenty of aluminium parts out there to upgrade, I own a Slayer and like it alot for bashing but it should have come with skid plates on the doors,roof,hood,trunk.... I likes to roll over and play dead...lol.... If you wait they will have the 4x4 slash electric.

Nitro can be a pain to tune everytime you take it out or morning to night, I have seen the need to change the tune around sundown even..

Best of Luck with what ever you choose.

rccartips 11-11-2009 05:30 PM

Hi LSAFAN580307,

I compiled a list of nitro rc cars/trucks/buggies and sorted them by price. These are ready to run, but you can always buy hop ups and customize later.

Cheapest Nitro RC Cars/Buggies/Trucks

Hope this list helps you out. Thanks.

Joel

espcarino 11-12-2009 06:54 AM

Hello Nick,
I just started again with RC cars (had some cars but long ago). My experience with nitro cars is that you have more issues with starting, maintaining it etc., you have to find the best setting for the engine which might depend on the weather etc. (@all please correct me if I am wrong). I have seen a Traxxas Revo which looks nice and it is easy to start, but you would need to buy a newer model, but I am sure you can get it also used.
What I like about electic cars is that they are easy to handle, just charge the batteries, put them into the car and have fun. I was thiking of buying a nitro car as well, but I am not sure anymore. Just for the sound...? I will upgrade my car somewhen to a brushless motor and I believe that there will be no difference concerning speed between nitro & electic
Cheers
Markus

mytto1 12-02-2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by espcarino (Post 6596632)
Hello Nick,
I just started again with RC cars (had some cars but long ago). My experience with nitro cars is that you have more issues with starting, maintaining it etc., you have to find the best setting for the engine which might depend on the weather etc. (@all please correct me if I am wrong). I have seen a Traxxas Revo which looks nice and it is easy to start, but you would need to buy a newer model, but I am sure you can get it also used.
What I like about electic cars is that they are easy to handle, just charge the batteries, put them into the car and have fun. I was thiking of buying a nitro car as well, but I am not sure anymore. Just for the sound...? I will upgrade my car somewhen to a brushless motor and I believe that there will be no difference concerning speed between nitro & electic
Cheers
Markus

hi i see what your going through, ihave a nitro buggy and like it alot for the sound but all the maintnence and getting it started get annoying somtimes so i gave electric onroad a try and its really fun and easy.!!:nod:if your okay goin with electric onroad i would probably suggest you get the tamiya tto1 rtr or kit. its a really simple car, but still you can so many things to it make faster and everything else(etc.)i have one myself and still love it!! you can do alot with it.ive had mine for about3 years now and race it. its a really good car. chaeck it oout.:)