R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   losi strike vs. traxxas slash (outta tha box, buy?) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/332405-losi-strike-vs-traxxas-slash-outta-tha-box-buy.html)

cavie98 10-02-2009 05:23 PM

losi strike vs. traxxas slash (outta tha box, buy?)

hey all. new to this site but been into rc crawlers for a while. really want to get into something faster that i can race at the local track. did a search on the strike but not much found in comparison to the slash. need to know what you guys think is the best "out of the box" sct is? i have a dx3r, so binding is not an issue. but iv'e heard the b-n-d is weaker than the rtr on the losi. what do you guys think? i will eventually do some upgrades just like every other truck i've put together. i know i will upgrade to brushless on which ever truck i get. pros and cons of either, if you can. any info you have on these would be helpful. i've read the reviews on both, but i would rather talk to the people who have actually driven these and not just a company trying to sell a rig. thanks for the help.:D:D:

cavie98

racer1812 10-02-2009 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by cavie98 (Post 6421655)
hey all. new to this site but been into rc crawlers for a while. really want to get into something faster that i can race at the local track. did a search on the strike but not much found in comparison to the slash. need to know what you guys think is the best "out of the box" sct is? i have a dx3r, so binding is not an issue. but iv'e heard the b-n-d is weaker than the rtr on the losi. what do you guys think? i will eventually do some upgrades just like every other truck i've put together. i know i will upgrade to brushless on which ever truck i get. pros and cons of either, if you can. any info you have on these would be helpful. i've read the reviews on both, but i would rather talk to the people who have actually driven these and not just a company trying to sell a rig. thanks for the help.:D:D:

cavie98

I can't give you a comparison on the Slash vs. Strike but I can tell you this is FALSE! RTR and BND are the same exact truck.

wyd 10-02-2009 10:51 PM

So far at are local two tracks that run the Strike, SLash and SC10 together in a SPEC class where youn run the trucks with stock tires the Slash has easily been the best truck. Mainly because the tires on the stock Slash are the best working of the three trucks. They all seem to be quick out of the box so changing gears will make them faster or slower so that isn't really a factor.

I raced the SC10 the last two weeks out of the box in the Slash Spec class and while I did win because of clean driving the Slash ran faster times than me and has more rear end traction.

I'm talking out of the box, with only oil changes, hide height and using the adjustments each truck has. I'm not talking a open type class like ROAR seems to have.

bowl806 10-03-2009 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by wyd (Post 6422578)
So far at are local two tracks that run the Strike, SLash and SC10 together in a SPEC class where youn run the trucks with stock tires the Slash has easily been the best truck. Mainly because the tires on the stock Slash are the best working of the three trucks. They all seem to be quick out of the box so changing gears will make them faster or slower so that isn't really a factor.

I raced the SC10 the last two weeks out of the box in the Slash Spec class and while I did win because of clean driving the Slash ran faster times than me and has more rear end traction.

I'm talking out of the box, with only oil changes, hide height and using the adjustments each truck has. I'm not talking a open type class like ROAR seems to have.

+1
... I didn't win

UltegraSTI 10-04-2009 05:36 AM

the slash, bind n drive is a great idea. but in terms of eye for eye. the slash has proven to take the prize. even on equal rubber (lettin the losi have slash tires which according to brian (wyd) have proven to be superior).

R

Protus 10-04-2009 04:55 PM

I have a Slash and I love it. It's fast out of the box and virtually indistructable. I've never driven any of the others, but I've run against them. In an open class, I've been able to do pretty well with my stock Slash again the modded SCTs

offtraxx 10-04-2009 05:25 PM

we have 2 strikes now at our track. (father/duaghter team) the daughter is very new to racing, so not very good yet. but the father is a good racer and I can outrun him with an older box stock slash. the strike does have more speed, but very loose and hard to control on a rough track. propper setup might be the ticket, but so far when he gets by me I just wait for it to spin out and get it back.

Mr GoodCat 10-04-2009 06:23 PM

From what I see at the track (indoor) The sc10 handles the best,for mod it is the choice of the best drivers. Outdoors the slash my keep up better. As far as racing whatever the class the driver plays a bigger part than the vehicle.

wyd 10-04-2009 07:22 PM

Today at Garlands they had a big race to finish the season off. Had 40 entries in the Spec class today. The Salsh trucks dominated the A Main and B Mains. They had more traction with stock tires and handled the loose condidtions better than the SC10 and Strike. The Strikes that race had pretty much zero traction and the Sc10 actually was a little better than the Strike but not close to the Slash.

It depends if you want to run in an open class and what classes your local tracks offer. In are area we run Spec class which is pretty much outta the box. In this format the Slash dominates. Now in mod I could see the SC10 being the best overall.

The Slash seems to have the best out of the box tires so in the SPec class it helps the Slash to be dominate. Tires are a great equalizer in any type of racing from real cars to rc cars.

I still think out of the box the Strike is the coolest looking.

bowl806 10-04-2009 08:34 PM

what size Lipo are most running w/Slash?

mdbrowdy1 10-05-2009 08:44 AM

I think people are not giving the Strike a fair shake... When compared to the slash of course it is going to handle worse on rough tracks but its not all due to the tires. There is an 8oz weight difference between the 2 trucks and on rough tracks heavier is always better. It doesn't sound like a lot but add 8oz to a stadium truck and tell me it doesn't make a difference. Yes, the tires will help but you have to remember it is a Losi, and I haven't had one yet that liked to be run with a stiff shock setup and decent ground clearance like a T4 prefers. If you want a strike to handle set it up like a xxxt with soft shocks and lower it to the ground, then tell me it wont handle as nice as a slash. Losi makes a good product here and the setup is important here just like in any other aspect of racing. Don't be afraid of having to test some setups and see what works for your driving style.

Manatarms25 10-16-2009 01:11 PM

I am a fan of Losi but.... last race of the year a strike showed up.. Well he never finished any race without breaking something. Maybe we just all bash to much but the Slash is always on top here.

jmackani 10-16-2009 03:05 PM

I was running one of the strikes at Garlands and I can say with some tuning that it will get better. Weight is primary reason for the loss of traction. It's not the tires, because they work great on a slash. My son runs a slash so I do have a good comparison. The second week with added weight to the rear and some camber adjustments the traction is getting better. I would honestly wait for the hpi blitz. It appears to have a good amount of tunability from out of the box that the others did not come with.

pyromania 10-16-2009 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Throw on caspers set-up on the strike and it will hang with any SCT. The box stock set-up is horrible and should be changed right out of the box.

rglamis 10-16-2009 11:06 PM

i have a mod and stock slash and love them. very durable and handle great.the sc10 and losi to me are a little weaker but when set-up right they should handle better then a slash.but a 4wd slash is comming out so id wait for it personally!