Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Slash Rookie - Maintenance Questions.... >

Slash Rookie - Maintenance Questions....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slash Rookie - Maintenance Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Slash Rookie - Maintenance Questions....

Hi all,

Firstly thanks to everyone on this awesome forum for all the advise. On the weekend i got a Traxxas Slash, a HPI Packtrick Charger (nicd, nimh, lipo) actually made by muchmore. and 2 batteries, both are EnrichPower 8.4v 4600mah.

Firstly, awesome! i got about 45 min run time out of each battery, which was well above my expectations, and when on standard mode (not training mode) it really gets going, some nice roosts etc.

Being a Rookie i was wondering if there was any tips you could give me on regular maintenance, things i should definately buy, ie type of brush to clean it, cleaning accessories, oils, etc etc. and are there things i should be doing after each run? and after say 5 or 10 runs? that sort of thing.

any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Martin
Old 09-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Firstly, awesome! i got about 45 min run time out of each battery, which was well above my expectations, and when on standard mode (not training mode) it really gets going, some nice roosts etc.

Be mindful of runnin the batts too long. even nimh batts like urs will suffer if run all the way dead. make sure u stop for the time being when u see the truck start to not pull as hard. dont wait til it goes real slow (dumps) or even stops. just fyi

Being a Rookie i was wondering if there was any tips you could give me on regular maintenance, things i should definately buy, ie type of brush to clean it, cleaning accessories, oils, etc etc. and are there things i should be doing after each run? and after say 5 or 10 runs? that sort of thing.

keep motor clean, clean clean and more clean. motor spray in a can at ur track or shop. old toothbrush will do much of the work. it'll be obvious and whats easiest for u to use. shock oil (well silicone technically) should have when its time to freshen up the shocks. buy it in the weight that is suggested by traxxas (30-35 i believe) or what most folks at ur track use. after each race mtg, pull ur shocks and feel them for function. and sticking or air means u should put fresh oil in and/or rebuild shock. keep the bearings clean. tear truck down when u feel any grit in the drivetrain from the tranny to the wheels and just keep her clean. a clean truck is a good operating truck.

enjoy the truck

R
Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

When I ran stock motors I always oiled the motor every race day both end bushing, a drop and then spin it a little. Wipe of the excess so it doesn;t collect dirt.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Get the RPM gear cover - it doesn't have teh hole that the stocker does and will keep that area free of dirt and the wear it'll cause to pinion/spur and slipper.

Def clean motor every few runs with motor spray and then reoil the bushings.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all for the Tips, i'm going to head out this week to pick up some stuff for maintenance.

is there anywhere i should try to avoid using the slash? ie gravel roads etc? can i take it anywhere, or ideally is it for dirt tracks and general dirt/ off road?

if im planning on using it on road is there some more suitable tyres to put on it?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check your hinge pins regularly, then have a tendency to back out. If you get tired of it you can get captured ones. I like the ones with locknuts instead of e-clips. If you have access to an air compressor, its fast and easy to clean your slash just blow it off.

On-road tires have short threads closer to slicks. If your stock tires are worn you could just use then for the street and get a new set of off -road tires. Goosebumps are nice off-roaders