Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old to R/C New to Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Old to R/C New to Nitro

I use to run electric R/C's in the past it has been a few years and now that I seem to have sometime on my hands I am think about getting back into it. I do know I was getting bored with the electric versions and was thinking about going to nitro I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for a good nitro starter. I was looking at the Traxxas Nitro Sport, anybody know anything there. Thank for any help.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

On road, off road, bashing, racing???? Any of the Traxxas stuff seems to be the best bang for the buck unless your a die hard racer or want 1/8 scale.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

traxxas jato is good too
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm in a similar situation, I got out of RC back when the RC10 gold pans were still running. I don't really have a lot of experience but will share what I have learned so far...

In my area 1/8 Nitro is the thing. If you want to race in my area, for the most part it better be 1/8 Nitro buggy or truggy. I would look in your area first, go to the track(s) and see what people are running. If you're interested in racing, make sure you're getting something that they have a class for.

The short course (SC10/Slash) trucks are also pretty popular, and pretty much look exactly like what you probably remember, straight electric, pretty simple.

I actually purchased a Jato first just to learn Nitro, but it's pretty much been on the shelf since I replaced it with a 1/8 scale Jammin Buggy. I've been super impressed with the various options and engineering on the 1/8 scale. Really should have just got that first, the Jato was a bit of a waste for me.

I would say get a 1/8 scale buggy if you want an offroad car. You can get a RTR pretty cheap to get started, there is a Hyper 7 TQ Black edition that I think stickers for $299. If you want to bash it, you've got 4wd and lots of power. If you want to race it, you've at least got a platform to work with in a sportsman's class, and all your knowledge could carry over if you decide to upgrade.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been around a long time and worked for a few hobby shops. I always start out with the same questions.

-What are you wanting to do with it?
-Where do you plan to run it?
-What does the LHS carry?
-How mechanically inclined are you?
-How deep are your pockets?

Its important to support the LHS and the local racing program (if that's what you plan to do). Before I would plop down 500-1k on a nitro race setup, spend a couple hundred on something good and reasonable, learn all you can and make sure you are into it. Once you understand all that you can, graduate to something bigger/faster. And, you can always sell the one you buy to help offset costs for the new one.

MOmo
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Went to the LHS and they suggested the Jato 3.3 anyone here know anything about it. Any good for a semi beginner.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Nothing wrong with the Jato, this is what I purchased first...for the same reason, LHS recommended.

Good:
- Easy to learn
- Traxxas DVD and easy manuals do take the intimidation factor out of nitro
- The easy start system is, well...easy.
- Goes really fast on cement, wheelies while bashing.
- Most every hobby shop supports it, traxxas parts are everywhere.

Bad:
- Really tough to drive on a track and offroad. REALLY tough.
- More of a street truck.
- No one races 1/10 in my area. It's all 1/8 scale, so no racing options.
- Even if there was a 1/10 class, it has a 2 speed transmission and too large of an engine, both are usually not allowed in "official" classes. (ie: ROAR)
- The knowledge of setups and such are not there when compared to something like a RC10GT, even if you swapped the engine and transmission ($$$) it would be tough to be competitive.

Based on my use, it wasn't a great purchase. However, it did get me in the game. In retrospect, the Nitro Rustler Sport or Nitro Rustler would have accomplished the same goal for me and saved some cash. In the Traxxas world I would say go cheap.

Just my experience.

If you answer Momo's questions we can probably give some better info.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

-What are you wanting to do with it?-As of right now just going off road/on road having fun, no racing as of right now. Not till i get use to it again. Not going to try to jump it over my house or go out there and break it. Also think it might be somthing I can get my son into.

-Where do you plan to run it?-Around my house, in the empty lot near my house has lots of little "ramps", there is an open to the public track near by I may use from time to time.

-What does the LHS carry?-They car just about everything, went by today and talk to them and they can order just about anything for me if I wanted, I did notice that they had alot of Traxxas Parts on hand, Which is why I am leaning that direction.

-How mechanically inclined are you?-Decentley mechanically inclined always willing to learn more and no afraid to ask questions

-How deep are your pockets?-Anywhere from 500-600 dollars to start with, but I know that, that money is just the inital investment. Like I said i use to do RC, but been out of the game for like 10-12 years now.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Here is my opinion and ideas (I'm sure there's lots of others out there):

A Traxxas Nitro Rustler or Nitro Rustler Sport are cheap and easy, should meet most of your needs today. Traxxas has a good forum, their product line is geared for beginners. For $239-299, you're having some fun. I don't think the extra $60-80 for the Jato is worth it, it's too much power for a 1/10 scale 2wd. Can't really fault it, it is what it is. However, it's not really worth upgrading much, not really race worthy, not great track performance, pretty much a basher.

To me, an 1/8th scale buggy or truggy is where it's at, and also is what folks are racing. They're 4wd which is much easier to drive, has bigger suspension, larger engine, etc. If your hobby shop has one assembled (hopefully they do, or can unbox an RTR) ask them to take it out and put it side by side with a Traxxas 1/10 scale truck. It's like looking at a mack truck next to a honda accord. Everything is bigger and beefier. I definitely enjoy bashing my 1/8 buggy more than the 1/10 2wd jato, plus racing is an option in the future. The downsides -- they are more complex, definitely not as mindless as the Traxxas. Will take some learning and reading.

If you want to go 1/8 scale buggy, there are a couple options I think are good values out there:

- Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. Street price is about $649 but it comes with LOTS of stuff. It includes the car, electrics, battery, starter box, engine, an awesome 2.4ghz radio that sells for $250 separately (vs. the traxxas $15 AM special) It's one of the best values out there, and it is reasonably competitive out of the box. The Losi 8ight in my area also has excellent parts support.

- OFNA Hyper 7 TQ Black. Street price is $269 on amainhobbies. This is also a RTR, with a fairly race proven chassis (although dated). It could be bashed out of the box, but it does not include all the stuff that the Losi has. It has a pull start vs. a starter box, comes with average electrics, and an AM Radio. If you want to race in the future, you're going to need to dump some money into it, and you're probably going to pass the $649 mark of the Losi pretty quickly.

Check this video out - this is an 1/8 buggy driven by a pro driver, watch for the 2 back flips in there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqapqGMJLA

Just my two cents. I'm not really sure you can go wrong now-a-days, there are so many good cars out there.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

youknow i have hade a savage for 3 years know i have run the devil out of it and sofar have not broken enything parts are wide spread and it will defently cach your sons eye it has my sons and know thats all he wants to do plus there exstremly touf and a used one is farly priced and most sold come rtr as far as traxxas they do not suite me and my stile of driving,its been said that i can break a cast iron anvil in a sand box with a rubber hammer and i have tried alot of cars and trucks but i would go for a savage for just pure fun and there plenty fast and if your just playing i would get a good condition used one
Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anything Traxxas is an excellent start.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Guy thanks for all of your input. I went down to the LHS last night and was talking to the guy again, and this time there was another customer in there with a situation like mine, and we three got to talking. Well after a while I was convinced and based on everything I got off of here, research, etc... I went with the JATO 3.3 now I just got it last night so I haven't had time to play with it yet, but I will later today and I will let you know how it goes. Again guys thanks for all of the Input. Oh and to the poster who mentioned the Rustler, I would have gone that route but the LHS did not have any for sell and where not planing on ordering any anytime soon. They would have ordered for me but it would have taken a while for it to get here and I am anxious to get started again.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpenguin
I use to run electric R/C's in the past it has been a few years and now that I seem to have sometime on my hands I am think about getting back into it. I do know I was getting bored with the electric versions and was thinking about going to nitro I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for a good nitro starter. I was looking at the Traxxas Nitro Sport, anybody know anything there. Thank for any help.
I just want to throw this out there...

You said its been a few years and you used to run electrics... Have you seen what they've come out with in the past few years?

I've done nitro and loved it.. the noise is great! but then there is the mess... fuel is dirty.. and takes a lot of maintenance! Cleaning alone is more than half of the time you'll spend with it!

Though I still have my nitro truck... even recently rebuilt it to like new status.. it sits on my wall.. My electrics are so much faster these days with the advent of LiPo and brushless motors. They even run a whole lot longer too! You can run them back to back... LiPos don't need discharging or rest.. just pop them back on a charger and go.

I know you have your heart set on Nitro. That's cool.. just wanted to throw it out there... If its speed... electric is the way to go... I can take one of my little 1/10th scales out to the big 1/8th scale track and blow them away! The only thing that can keep up is maybe a 1/8th scale electric.. those are crazy.. but usually unless they are a seasoned driver, they can't keep up either. They are a little more pricey too!

With whatever you do, Good Luck!

Jerome
Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default realism

Sure electric motors have come along way and get faster and faster every day but nothing beats the realism and fun of nitro, No charging of batteries just fill "n" go (...and tune)
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am/was in the same boat - the last nitro car I had was a Kyosho Assault

I shopped around, looked online, talked the the LHS, and ended up with a T-Maxx 3.3 - FAST, Solid, and more importantly- forgiving I know electric is easy, but there is nothing like nitro in my opinion.

IF you go with a T-Maxx, here are a few recommendations:

1) Tune the suspenstion LOW - they can flip easy, also consider a sway bar kit.
2) Go to the local track on an off-day and ask questions - I spent about 2 hours at the track and asked about a million questions. No one was reluctant to help in giving me pointers, help tune the engine, etc. In that respect, the hobby has not changed since the Assault days
3) Pick up an extra set of radio crystals. I ended up going to a Spektrum because I was forever stepping on other Traxxas folks - and a run-away car can be dangerous, not to mention expensive
4) Talk to your LHS every week for a while. This is has helped me tremendously. I go to the track on the weekend and just practice on the course - not racing per se. I also bash around the yard and a local ball field. Then I go over the car after every run, tighten stuff up, etc. Then during the week, I make a point to stop at the hobby store to get any replacement parts I need, and talk through with the guys what I saw, ask questions, etc. I have gotten a lot of advice this way - even more so than way back when.

Hope this helps!

Bob