Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic Speed controller resetting itself

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Electronic Speed controller resetting itself

Hi all,

I've just got into this hobby and bought my first car recently (Tamiya Baja King) and I have recently upgraded the speed controller to an electronic one rather than the standard mechanical one. I have a problem though, If I put it in full reverse and then whack it forward to full forward the speed controller seems to reset and the lights flash on it. When it has reset it will run again no problem unless I do what I just mentioned. It doesnt do it if you pause after reversing before going forward. It isnt a problem of overheating as it happens even if the car has been resting for a while. I can upload photos and even a video of it doing it if need be...

I also got a new 15 turn motor to replace the stock one and it is much noisier! Why do they make that high pitched whining noise in reverse? Is there any way to make it quieter or is it just something I have to live with?

The motor and speed controller came as a bundle by the way and the specs match so I doubt that the motor is too powerful for the controller.

Thanks!

Andy
Old 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Regional Moderator

what kind of esc is it? is the unit mounted in the car or are you playing with it unmounted. (could it be a mechanical issue where the plugs are loose and it loses power due to the sudden inertial shift).

If you want send a vid to my [email protected]
Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your reply petzl.
I think I've worked out what was going on...
It seems that the battery was just getting slightly low so when you changed direction quickly the motor used loads of electricity which meant that there wasnt enough power to keep the ESC running. Now I've charged the battery up it doesnt seem to do it any more.

Do you know what kind of running times you would expect from a 15T motor? The car is fully ball raced so it might be slightly longer than normal but it would be nice to know what to expect....

Cheers

Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Regional Moderator

run times would depend on how good your batteries are. stick pack versus a good racing pack. it would also depend on whether you are racing or just fooling around.

good packs + racing ~ 6-7minutes
stick pack + playing around ~ 10-20 minutes

of course the times really depend on what capacity battery you have. I made the asssumption that you are using 3300mah batts.

anything less would obviously decrease the time.

it sounds like you are just playing around. one thing to keep in mind... If you are using NiMH batts, don't run the car til it stops moving or gets as low as it was when you had the esc problem.

NiMH batts should not as a matter of course be discharged below .9v/cell or 5.4v/ 6cell pack. just stop when the car seems to slow a bit and let your cells rest for a bit before recharging.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:23 AM

Default Novac GT7

I am souring information on the Novac GT7 is there a thermal shutdown on this speed control and if not why haven't the techs haven't put one in as the GT7 is a race speed control.

And if they fail is it worth repairing them or throw them in the bin