Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Some Advice Here

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

if this is for track meets then i'd say Lipo's and brushless is the way to go. not only do you get more power and run time, but its alot less maintenance with the vehicle.

what you could do is buy 2 chargers and 4 batteries. you have 2 in the car and the other two on the charger and if two do die will youre retrieving your thing, you can quick pop them in and out.

Is this money coming out of your pocket or like a school grant sort of deal? MaxAmps makes good 5000mah packs from what ive heard, and maybe you could pick up a used mamba max monster + one more motor? either way, this could get pricey.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok.. brushless... do I just buy brushless engines or is there more to it?

and batteries. lipo? 7 cell? 8 cell?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

i do believe that the e-max is the way to go, if everybody remembers the military used it as a "mine checker" (i read they drove them around in a mine field with something that was dragged behind the e-maxx to try to get the mine to explode, if it helps with saving human lives i'am all in with the destruc tion of an rc vehicle). also if you can check into what is better series or parallel i do believe you will get the run time you need, i forget which way gives you more run time keep in mind that a 7.2 or a 7.4 battery will be how much power you get but your run time will increase by a large margin.if you go the other way you will have 14.4 or 14.8 of volts of power but your run time will be cosiderably less.i think series is long run time.and parallel is more power.keep in mind the txt-1 is a smaller scale, the e-revo chassis might be harder to make a way of holding the 16lbs due to the fact that the chassis is angled (meaning more work for you to get it to work), the e-max is a flat type of chassis. the other thought would be a clod buster type vehicle its super strong. they use these vehicles in the nrctpa(its a pulling class)they are known to pull a couple hundred pounds.if you try to find someone who is knowledgeable in this type of class, then maybe someone can build a chassis for you (you see a lot of hand built chassis)hope i helped a little.thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

i read your last post, i would go nimh, yes they have a little less run time but their safer, lipo's if not cared for can explode. the nimh are pretty much a charge and use and then forget about until the next charging session.with the series or parallel option you can try and experiment with the needed run time and a 5100 from orion is about the 60 dollar range,will say almost half the cost of a 5000 mah lipo from say a company like reedy(team associated).
Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default txt not bad

have been thinking about it, the e-max suspension is very plush,might be hard to mount 16lbs onto chassis, don't know if any spring is strong enough.the tamiya txt-1 and clodbusters use straight axles, might hold up to the weight better,even if suspension compresses, it wont compress all the way like e-max, tires could be your shock absorbers.have you asked the monster truck people for some input.trying to help.thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Let me throw this out at you....

What about a trailer? If I were able to make a trailer would you still recommend the EMaxx/Brushless/etc?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TigerCoach
What about a trailer? If I were able to make a trailer would you still recommend the EMaxx/Brushless/etc?
I'm not going to give you a suggestion on the type of vehicle to use jsut because I'm not sure how I would do it. I do think a trailer is your best bet you'll be able to pull your load much easier than making something that can carry it. I don't want to say not to use lipo but make sure you do your home work on using them It's hard for me to say how "big" a lipo you'll need with the load/amp draw you'll get from doing what your planning. If you go with the trailer route I don't think you'll need the added expense of brushless in a truck like the e-maxx.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a hobby shop you can talk to or are we "all you've got"
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Rookie

There are a couple in town, but honestly the answers I am getting on here are much more comprehensive.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Wink both work

I beleive the E Revo has a lower CG which would be good for trailer pulling. Beyond that however the battery choice will need a little more consideration. If you are pulling a 16LB weight it is highly unlikely no matter how you gear it you will receive 30Min runtime without making the jump to Lipo. To gaurantee that time an 8000Mah packs would be ideal. It provides on average 50Min runtime and with the additional weight it should still be able to provide enough runtime. The LVC is an easy installation on most Brushed setups but if you make the jump to brushless now they are built in. Another thing to look at is conversion kits for Trucks. The E-Revo has a Guerilla Max chassis option which is a much larger tray space. If you would like some more info on a good pack setup just PM me.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Rookie

My only worry with the E Revo Brushless is that the chassis is plastic... looks kind of weak to hook up to a trailer.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TigerCoach
My only worry with the E Revo Brushless is that the chassis is plastic... looks kind of weak to hook up to a trailer.
If you ever saw what E-Revo guys do to those trucks you wouldn't have any worries.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default OK one LAST question (I hope)

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going with the E-Maxx. I will upgrade with an aluminum chassis, body mounts, and suspension, and then fabricating a trailer to pull.

As far as batteries, I've decided on 5000mAh nimh (unless there is a higher mAh nimh...) because of the ease of use and the cost. I'll probably buy 6 or so and rotate them in, constantly charging the others while the E Maxx is "working". I figure after a year of trial and error I can upgrade to brushless/LiPo setup. Depending upon run time, I still may decide to change the gearing... we'll see.

But I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for a simple charger that can charge multiple 6 or 7 cell nimh batteries very quickly.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

good choice, I would hold off on the aluminum upgrades until you do some testing. The plastic blend is actually very strong and the aluminum will be adding lots of extra weight that will make the truck work harder. If you were putting the load ON the truck instead of in a trailer, then that would be a different story (the body mounts and shock towers won't support much from above)

You may also find that you need weight to help keep it planted while pulling.

Sounds like fun, just don't have too much fun before you put her to work!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i believe there are a few hyperion chargers that can do multiple batteries, though they do cost a bit more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.