Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about getting a Nitro, help me please

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Thinking about getting a Nitro, help me please

I've been approached with an offer to trade some non-RC items I have for an
rc10gt nitro truck. I don't even know how to begin to evaluate this offer because I am completely ignorant of anything related to Nitro. I always expected to stay electric, and the only reason I am even considering it is that it would give me a new toy without having to spend any money and allow me to get rid of some collectibles that are sitting around.

1. What are average run times with this truck. I'm going to get more details in the morning, but assume stock for now.

2. How hot does this engine get? Is this significantly hotter than an electric might get? What is the increased risk if children are around?

3. I can see from the Team Associated page that the RC10GT is no longer in production. How much commonality is there with a GT2? Are spare parts still readily available or am I going to have a hard time if something breaks (or is already broken)?

4. What are some potential problems that I should be on the lookout for and know about in order to avoid?

5. If/when this thing flips over, how resilient are the parts? How protected is the engine? Is a roll cage required or highly advisable to decrease risk of a fire? Is this even a valid concern?

6. How does this car handle in grass?

7. What kind of value would you associate with an rc10gt, futaba radio, starter box, servos, receiver, and what he is calling a "fresh engine".

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have 2 GTs, one of which I race. I have been in the hobby for 3 years, so I'm not an expert, but I'll try to answer your questions...

1. Run times stock would be about 10 minutes on a full tank of fuel. Of course this varies on what motor you have as well as how it is tuned (and how you drive!). I get about 12 minutes on my Dynamite .12SPD under normal race conditions

2. Nitro motors should run between 220 and 280 degrees

3. GT2 and GT parts are not interchangeable. Despite the GT being out of production, spare parts are still made. Some of the upgrade parts made by other manufacturers are long gone, but you should be able to find all of the stock parts online and in some hobby shops.

4. Leaky shocks and leaky gas tanks are pretty common. Ball cups popping off in big wrecks is another.

5. Roll overs are not a problem...someone does make a GT roll cage but it isn't necessary (trust me, I crash a lot).

6. Mine sucks in grass. You will probably want to raise the ride height and maybe get a set of Masher tires for the rear.

7. Not really sure on value, I would guess the truck by itself is around $150.

I would recommend this forum for GT/GT2 info: http://www.baysidehobby.com/forum/
It's not too active anymore, but there are pages of great info on here when you run into problems.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You can get NICE slightly used GT2's on ebay for about $150 or less. Honestly parts are still available but the original GT is getting older by the day so unless your getting a REALLY sweat deal I would go with a newer truck..JMO