Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
How much practice before entering a race? >

How much practice before entering a race?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much practice before entering a race?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How much practice before entering a race?

I am getting back into RC after racing a lot as a kid. I'm pretty new to everything and am merely curious how much practice I should have before going to an actual race. I have an 1/10 on-road car but am really new, I raced off road when I was younger and now everything has changed so much since then. Does anyone have any idea what class I should look to enter and what kind of setup I would need? Thanks in advance for any advice...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I say jump in because there is no better practice than the real thing.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Most races will have a novice class. So, as long as you keep the car pointed in the right way, you couldn't have any trouble racing at your skill level.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Practice until you can get around the track and feel relatively comfortable with the car (confident that you can steer around the track and steer out of the way of other cars). You'll learn fastest by just entering the race but it's not worth pissing off other drivers if you can't control your car. It's helpful to practice with a friend or other cars and practice following and being followed. Passing and being passed.

You won't win, that's not the point. Just get better and improve your lap times. Race against your self.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Giulitto
theres nothing worse than a new racer pushing they're car to the limits hitting every corner. remember, hugging the corners and staying consistent is the key to doing well. slow is fast, and don't try to push the car too hard until it's feels dialed and easy to drive.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

First find out what kind of Cars/Classes are run at your local track. The last thing you want to do is invest in a car you can't race.

Lets say for example your track runs Touring Cars, and their stock class uses 17.5 brushless motors. I would configure your car to match the class you eventually want to run in once you start to get a little better.

Now, once you can keep basic control of the car, go ahead and enter into your track's novice class. Once your laptimes start to approach the guys running in stock class, move up! It could take you a few weeks, or a year to get to that level.. depending on your individual skill.

It always pays off to go to the track ahead of time, and pal up with a racer or two to get some advice on how the track there is run.

Cpt.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just got back into the whole RC thing again myself. I just waited until I could get around the track at a good pace( in the area of the slower guys) without hitting anything for a few packs. Started in the D mains...now am in the top of the B mains on a regular basis...i've only been back into off road for 3 months.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

When you're starting out, slow is fast. Put in a slow motor, get the laptimes consistant, then work on the setup and your own skills such as braking points and places you can nail the gas, to eventually handle a faster motor.

When I started out, even a silver can motor was too fast for me, 15 years on, its too slow for me
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Giulitto
+1