Community
Wiki Posts
Search

xxx-t mf2 with rear slippage. help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default xxx-t mf2 with rear slippage. help please

Hey all. I have a problem. I am running the mamba max on my xxx-t mf2 with a 19:90 gearing a 8.4volt nimh battery 5000. The problem is i keep having rear diff slippage. I rebuilt the rear 2 times in the past 10 charges. I changed the diff gear the balls the inner plates. I titten the screw as much as I can and she's still slipping from the diff the the slipper clutch. Anybody have a fix the this. is there a stronger rear ot a lock setup? I know the speed-t has a locked diff thr the gear will not fit in a MF2.

any suggestions would help.

Danny
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Okay, lets go over everything. You have the gen2 diff screw, and in there is 2 circular blue things to keep the dirt out, right? Then there is the thrust assembly, that has Associated black grease on it right? Then, the diff balls. They have a good coating of Associated or Losi diff grease, right? Now check the diff rings. You want the rings that has the least amount of wear on it (you can see a mark). Now, is there any damage to the ring? There should only be a mark from where the balls were rolling. Now, the other diff outdrive. The spring is in there, then the diff screw. The diff should silver part should be pointing in, so if you are looking at the diff outside when the diff is sealed up the diff nut will be on the black side. Okay now, when did you say NO when I said ", right?"

you want to brreak it it, just by getting the diff screw snug then using a drill to 'work' the diff then tighten it as you are breaking n the diff until it is TIGHT. You want a hex wrench to be on 1 side, and a standard screwdriver that fits perfectly on the diff screw side. Like I said, you want it really tight. Now see how smooth the diff is. You should get bfastrc diff rings, thrust assembly, diff balls, and their diff grease for rebuilding your diff in high power applications like the MM and 7 cell.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You must always have the slipper set looser then the diff. Those mamba systms put out a lot of power so it is important that the slipper is set to give before the diff. You should not need to crank down the slipper all the way either. Are you running in dirt or on concrete/asphalt?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default diff

Thank you for the insight. I understand everything you all are saying and I have broken in the diff and adjusted slipper. What I think i am looking for a aluminium gear, either a locker or ball diff for the mf2. DO they make one? I am mostly running in the street with the truck but i have a small track in the yard to play around in the dirt. I love the fact I can pull wheelies, and at the same time fly down the block. Where can I buy the upgraded diff parts? do you have part numbers.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You don't need any upgraded parts for GenII tranny... An aluminum gear will not make the slightest bit of difference if slipping is the problem. Make sure you replace the diff nut.. they do not last forever... also, check your slipper.. you may have glazed the pads.. if so, it will not grab well at all... I've run as low as a 3.5 (insane speed.. stupid fast) in an MF2... something isn't being set right...

Jerome
Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Prophet

If the diff is melting the slipper is not set right. Right means it gives before the diff. If you have the slipper tight to do wheelies your diff will suffer! I guarentee if you you set the slipper and diff like I stated you will not melt out the diff!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Granted they are 4wd but these ball diffs are the same thing the TC guys use with 4.5 BL motors on carpet. Talk about traction!

If you can run a ball diff in a gas truck for a 45 min main without melting it down then you can run your 5700 mamba as well. You just need to make sure everything is adjusted properly. It is critical the slipper gives before the diff. You should be able to make the diff tight enough so the slipper can be set to pull the front tires off the ground especially on the street
Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aquaholic33
Hey all. I have a problem. I am running the mamba max on my xxx-t mf2 with a 19:90 gearing a 8.4volt nimh battery 5000. The problem is i keep having rear diff slippage. I rebuilt the rear 2 times in the past 10 charges. I changed the diff gear the balls the inner plates. I titten the screw as much as I can and she's still slipping from the diff the the slipper clutch. Anybody have a fix the this. is there a stronger rear ot a lock setup? I know the speed-t has a locked diff thr the gear will not fit in a MF2.

any suggestions would help.

Danny
I always run the gen 2 tranny it has a 2.43 igr instead of a 2.56 which is what the xxx-nt has.....and try an 86/22
Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Prophet

The diff and slipper will not slip at the same time unless both are very loose. Make sure the slipper is looser then the diff. I have be setting up losi diffs for 16 years and have never not been able to get the diff tighter then the slipper and still have the slipper set so the car will wheelie!