Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What is a good first nitro-powered buggy kit? >

What is a good first nitro-powered buggy kit?

What is a good first nitro-powered buggy kit?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What is a good first nitro-powered buggy kit?

Hello,

I'm new to R/C and am looking to purchase a kit to build one but am not interested in spending 500 dollars right now. I'm more interested in the $200-$300 range if possible.

I know most R/C snobs would probably laugh at that statement but starting out I just want something to learn on since I'm not sure if this is something I will take to the next level if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not experienced with building these things at all so would hopefully be something with instructions to guide me through the process.

Please advise!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default electric?

there are some rtr veh out there for under 500$ have you given any thought to electric? nitro can be frustrating and if you are on a budget fuel and rookie tuning mistakes could be quiet expensive.. keep me updated pm me any questions thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

not totally sure if I want electric or not...

I definitely would prefer to be able to play longer... and not have to wait on charging all the time.

I would much rather pay for fuel than spend a ton extra on the car itself. I'm not on a huge budget but if I could find something RTR Nitro that wasn't high maintenance it would be preferred.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rountrjf

I definitely would prefer to be able to play longer... and not have to wait on charging all the time.

I would much rather pay for fuel than spend a ton extra on the car itself. I'm not on a huge budget but if I could find something RTR Nitro that wasn't high maintenance it would be preferred.
Before getting a nitro you should definately read up on the break in bible and the tuning bible on the nitro-offroad thread it was really helpful when i broke in my new os engine i got
Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

most RTR electrics are faster then RTR nitros.
and they are a lot easier to maintain.
I'm trying to get out of nitro now because i have an electric and its a lot faster and in my opinion more fun.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I used to run nitro, and it cost be about 40 bucks a week in fuel, 10 bucks a week in glow plugs, 50 bucks evey couple months for a motor rebuild. The list gets bigger and bigger. In most cases you can get electric vehicles to go faster than nitros if you want speed.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"Nitro" and "maintenance" are synonymous.

If you don't want to wait for charging just leave enough in your budget to buy more than a couple batteries.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Timbulb
"Nitro" and "maintenance" are synonymous.

If you don't want to wait for charging just leave enough in your budget to buy more than a couple batteries.
Electric car has one battery. Nitro has the reciever, starter box, glow igniter, and sometimes li-po in the controller. So actually nitro is more electric than electric

Clutches burn up, servos burn up, chassis wear out, tires are expensive dont last long, motors burn up, fuel burns up, bearings burn up ect.

On an electric you just drive and clean the body to make it look nice. Electric is a great way to start. Nitro is a lot of fun once you want to dedicate the money. Many pros are really into nitro but still practice electric to keep there skills sharp