Wiki Posts
Search

new to lipo ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default new to lipo ?

i just got a thunder power 5000 mah 40c lipo and i charged it and used it a lil bit what do i do next do i have to discharge it or can i just charge it like that its still has a desent charge on it
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=wichol98;5986518]i just got a thunder power 5000 mah 40c lipo and i charged it and used it a lil bit what do i do next do i have to discharge it or can i just charge it like that its still has a desent charge on it[/QUOT

hi, im new to the electric rc myself ( comming from nitro) but from what i know , you have to have the right charger with a balancer to balance all the cells and make sure they have the same equal charge most people recommended to balance lipos once a month and you shouldnt let lipo batteries discharge below a certain voltage this could damage your lipo i was told that as soon as you notice that the battery is low .. STOP! .....and do not discharge lipos ... one of the good things about lipo batteries is that you can charge them anytime and not have to worry about the battery losing its memory. im in a process of switching to lipo .. just waiting on my charger to come in and im shopping around waiting for a good deal on ebay for a lipo.

i hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

[QUOTE=capturefx;5986613]
Originally Posted by wichol98
i just got a thunder power 5000 mah 40c lipo and i charged it and used it a lil bit what do i do next do i have to discharge it or can i just charge it like that its still has a desent charge on it[/QUOT

hi, im new to the electric rc myself ( comming from nitro) but from what i know , you have to have the right charger with a balancer to balance all the cells and make sure they have the same equal charge most people recommended to balance lipos once a month and you shouldnt let lipo batteries discharge below a certain voltage this could damage your lipo i was told that as soon as you notice that the battery is low .. STOP! .....and do not discharge lipos ... one of the good things about lipo batteries is that you can charge them anytime and not have to worry about the battery losing its memory. im in a process of switching to lipo .. just waiting on my charger to come in and im shopping around waiting for a good deal on ebay for a lipo.

i hope this helps.
whoever told you that must be buying the cheap 20$ chinese lipos. you simply charge, run, throw on the charger, run, throw on the charger, and on and on and on. the lipo you have there buddy uses matched cells, its a quality lipo pack where the cells don't come unbalanced easily. i bought a balancer and used it twice. i have two batteries that i used since christmas and are running like new. No you dont need to balance it, run and have fun.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im using a lrp shere comp esc how do i know if its in lipo mode
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

some esc switches automatically.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Go into settings mode, the first settings that you can change is for LiPo cutoff or NiMh racing mode. It'll be one flash for LiPo cutoff activated on or two flashes for NiMh racing mode.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah just run it and charge it, run it and charge it again! Im sure there is no chance that a name brand lipo would ever get unbalanced and possibly get ruined....seriously though, no matter what type of lipo you have its a good idea to check the balance every now and then to be safe. A $20 balancer is cheap insurance if you ask me. But what do I know, I use a Lipo Sack also!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Eventually you will need to balance it to make sure you get the life out of it. Good lipos don't go very much out of balance, but they still need balancing every once in a while to insure you can use them up.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

what if you just simply balance chareg every single time, its not like its take so much time to hook up the balancer.

jeez. do it everytime, this way youll know that it has been balanced recently.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Lord

That's what I do - my lipo chargers are balancing type chargers, makes it easy to do it every time.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

SAME HERE!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what happen if we overcharge it, sorry me is a lipo nerd
Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Wenbiao
what happen if we overcharge it, sorry me is a lipo nerd
If you're using lipo mode on your charger, you can't overcarge it, the charger stops at the max cell voltage of 4.2v/cell. The voltage is then held there as the lipo tops off - you will see amps falling off to close to zero.

If you're doing something unsafe and not charging it as a lipo, you will damage the lipo if you take the voltage significantly over 4.2v/cell. I highly recommend onlycharging a lipo using a lipo capable charger and its lipo charge mode, otherwise you risk damaging the lipo from swelling it to cutting its life significantly to untimately a fire/venting/smoke episode where you totally destroy it.