Wiki Posts
Search

temps and gearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default temps and gearing

ive been reading about people needing to change gearing due to temps? I guess my question is how do i know if my gearing is set correctly.
I have a bone stock Slash running a 5000 mah venom battery. After the run my battery is hot (can hold for 3 sec) the esc is barely warm. and the motor is a lil cooler than the battery. my truck runs 16.6mph (GPS) and the battery last 15min.

I guess the same question for charging. i have 3 settings for the charger. 2\3.5\5 amps. When should i charge on what and what does the temp tell me?

Also i just bought a 3600mah 8 cell battery. how should that differ from the venom?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Id Charge your venom at 5amps and your new battery at 3.5amps. Runtime should be higher on the venom. How many cells is it?
As for gearing a larger pinion(small gear) will give you more top speed but your stuff will run hotter with less run time. A smaller pinion will give less speed but more torque it will have more run time as stay cooler. The spur gear(big gear) is different for more speed get a smaller one. For less speed more torque get a bigger one.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

venom is a 6cell.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

With an 8 cell pack your motor heat problems are only going to get worse unless you put a smaller pinion on it.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Your 3600 will be alot faster. Try it with your setup If it gets hot right away droped a coulpe teeth on your pinion.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc18/xxxt racer
Id Charge your venom at 5amps and your new battery at 3.5amps. Runtime should be higher on the venom. How many cells is it?
As for gearing a larger pinion(small gear) will give you more top speed but your stuff will run hotter with less run time. A smaller pinion will give less speed but more torque it will have more run time as stay cooler. The spur gear(big gear) is different for more speed get a smaller one. For less speed more torque get a bigger one.
Thank you for this. i have wondered this for awhile. Perfect explanation. Even I could understand it.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

so i think i know the answer to this,, but is this too hot? i charged it at 5A and left for work, when i came home. wahlah. goood thing that wasnt my new battery. as for my new battery, MAN i dont even want brushless with this thing. . Im sure its not the greatest but its good enough for me. I have to learn throttle control. If i go down in pinion, does that mean its gonna have more torque? or does the motor just spin faster?
Attached Thumbnails temps and gearing-img_1690.jpg   temps and gearing-img_1691.jpg  
Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=wheremiat;5914343]so i think i know the answer to this,, but is this too hot? i charged it at 5A and left for work, when i came home. wahlah. goood thing that wasnt my new battery. as for my new battery, MAN i dont even want brushless with this thing. . Im sure its not the greatest but its good enough for me. I have to learn throttle control. If i go down in pinion, does that mean its gonna have more torque? or does the motor just spin faster?[/QUOTE

the 5 amps thing is fine but u never leave a battry un attened
Old 06-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Def got too hot - you really shouldn't be leaving the batt on charger and going off, thats not safe practice, you could easily have a fire. Plus if you monitor batt while charging, you can tell its getting too hot and stop the charge potentially saving the batt. You dont have to be there every sec, but check on it while charging every few minutes.

Down on th epinion - more torque, less speed. No motor won't spin any faster since speed goes down.

5a should be ok, but new batts can get real hot - monitor batt when charging - if batt gets too hot to hold comfortably, back off charge rate a little to 4amps.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

I kept an eye on it the times i charged it before. and had charged it at 5A before with no issues. Either way, Lesson learned. I'll try that spare pinion i have, see if it helps.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Then a cell (or two) prob went bad in that pac - when cells go bad, the internal resistance goes way up and they get very hot when charging - hot enough to vent and peel shrink off the pac. The pac was most likely done anyway. You may be able to salvage a few cells if they have any use to you for potential replacement cells when the next one goes bad.

I use a thick porcelain plate I charge batts on so if something happens, it doesn't harm anything, hope you didn't scorch anything too bad.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 on the plate, or use a clay flower pot. If you want to be really safe, get a lipo sack. You don't have to be charging lipos to use one.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

you might be right about one cell going bad. the paper around one cell is darker than the others as if it leaked. and nothing was harmed, i charged it in the middle of the garage floor. i dont bring any of my rc stuff inside the house. thanks for the tips and i told ya so's. now im gonna play with that pinion.