Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seized Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Seized Motor

I had my old Trinity X-Star Stock motor working perfectly, until it just seized while I was testing a battery on my bench.

I can only spin the armature a couple of degrees before it hits something and stops. I think I even see the shadow between the magnets on the can and the armature vanish, as it they were contacting each other.

It is a locked endball and I have no clue how to open the motor up to investigate. Any suggestions on how I can get this motor running again?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well... if you really want to see if you can save this motor, you are going to have to open it!

Make sure the brushes and springs are out.. and there is no capacitor soldered to the can from the hoods (common for this era of motor and radios). Then... hold the can tightly with two fingers and a thumb.. shaft pointed down... and SMACK it (the shaft) on a concrete floor or a brick...this may take a couple of wacks but it should knock the endbell loose. Once its loose, you can take the motor apart and see what's up... could just be a foreign object like an E-clip which you can remove... or you might have busted a wind in the motor.. bad.. trash then.. or the magnet could have come unglued.. also bad.. trash as well..

If you can and want to save it, then you should also get the commutator cut while its out.. much easier because most motor lathes folks still have are from the removable armature days of the last 12-15 years of racing.

To reassemble, take some good pliers and bend the tabs on the can out more so you can put the endbell back on... then you'll have to use a hammer and small punch to knock the tabs back in place...

Its a bit of work, but that's what it will take if you really want to save it!

Good luck!

Jerome

Last edited by JeromeK99; 06-03-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
Well... if you really want to see if you can save this motor, you are going to have to open it!

Make sure the brushes and springs are out.. and there is no capacitor soldered to the can from the hoods (common for this era of motor and radios). Then... hold the can tightly with two fingers and a thumb.. shaft pointed down... and SMACK it (the shaft) on a concrete floor or a brick...this may take a couple of wacks but it should knock the endbell loose. Once its loose, you can take the motor apart and see what's up... could just be a foreign object like an E-clip which you can remove... or you might have busted a wind in the motor.. bad.. trash then.. or the magnet could have come unglued.. also bad.. trash as well..

If you can and want to save it, then you should also get the commutator cut while its out.. much easier because most motor lathes folks still have are from the removable armature days of the last 12-15 years of racing.

To reassemble, take some good pliers and bend the tabs on the can out more so you can put the endbell back on... then you'll have to use a hammer and small punch to knock the tabs back in place...

Its a bit of work, but that's what it will take if you really want to save it!

Good luck!

Jerome
You could try and pry the tabs up before you "smack it". This method works but I've seen it yield various results, I've seen bad things happen to the com from the sudden stop associated with the "smack" I've never used this method and had plans on putting the motor back together again....Good luck
Old 06-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trinity X-Star Stock motor is from the mid-1990's.

it's time for another motor

Are you in the US? Where do you live?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes it is from the mid 90's, Just getting back into the hobby a bit.

I just don't understand how it can change from all GO to nothing. I've tried to pry the tabs up to get the endball but i can't get anything inbetween without damaging it badly, I guess this one is fried.

I have some other motors from the 90's I can put in and run, until I decide to go brushless. Thanks guys
Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

If you're in the US, I'll send you a newer stock motor. Fresh com cut, new springs and brushes, and lubed, ready to go. Free.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm from Toronto, Canada. But I'd still welcome a free motor.