Community
Wiki Posts
Search

advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy advice!!

Well... Im quite new to the rc world and want to get off road .Im on a bugdet of £230. Any ideas? thanks
Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

An electric rtr of some kind would be my suggestion. You'll only need batts and a charger besides the RC. You'd need a few more items to get into nitro and engine tuning is a needed skill that has to be learned.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

any cars u think r specially good
Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Start with something like a Losi Mini Desert Truck. Inexpensive and fun. Comes with everything. If you break that and can fix it, then soon you'll be ready to move up to something else.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Start with something like a Losi Mini Desert Truck. Inexpensive and fun. Comes with everything. If you break that and can fix it, then soon you'll be ready to move up to something else.
I've had several mini's and they're fine but without a bunch of aftermarket parts $$ I think they handle like crap. A good 1/10 RTR would be better but that's JMO.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Tech Rookie

You could buy a RTR (Ready-To-Run) car for cheap at like any Electronics store (like Dick Smith/Tandy) or even places like Kmart, Target, BIG W. I would advise getting into these types of cars to gain experience then you could also upgrade and go nitro. For instance i have a Radioshack Chevy Avalanche which i bought from Dick Smith's Electronics for $100 AUS Dollars. Although im into nitro now, i've always got that car to have fun with.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KillEmAll
You could buy a RTR (Ready-To-Run) car for cheap at like any Electronics store (like Dick Smith/Tandy) or even places like Kmart, Target, BIG W. I would advise getting into these types of cars to gain experience then you could also upgrade and go nitro. For instance i have a Radioshack Chevy Avalanche which i bought from Dick Smith's Electronics for $100 AUS Dollars. Although im into nitro now, i've always got that car to have fun with.
If you found this site I wouldn't think your gonna want a "store bought" RC. They truly are crap compared to a hobby grade RC. You would be just as well off sending me the hundred bucks you'ld spend on one of those,,,and your not going to do that now are you.

Last edited by racer1812; 05-18-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KillEmAll
For instance i have a Radioshack Chevy Avalanche which i bought from Dick Smith's Electronics for $100 AUS Dollars. Although im into nitro now, i've always got that car to have fun with.
What a waste of $100. We should be talking hobby grade RC here... not radio shack toys.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

my advice would be a rtr associated b4 for around 225.00 us. or a duratrax evader rtr for around 125.00 us. I have both and for someone starting out I think the duratrax evader would be the best way to go. It is very sinilar to a losi buggy parts are cheap and they have a ton of hop up parts to keep you competitive. Then you will have more cash left over to get a nicer charger.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom3
Well... Im quite new to the rc world and want to get off road .Im on a bugdet of £230. Any ideas? thanks
That leaves a lot of room. When i worked for my LHS, I would ALWAYS ask people getting into it several Key questions.

-What do you want to do with it? (bash, Race, or both)
-What type of Terrain do you have around you (street, dirt, on-road, Offroad)
-Are you mechanically inclined. (have you built model cars before and are you able to dedicate 6+ hours to assembly (IF you get a kit vs RTR)
-What is your budget (which you gave)
-How close IS your LHS and What do They carry?
-(for those people really wanting gas, I always recommend elect. to start regardless.)

I can tell you, strictly from a "bash perspective" you can't go wrong with Traxxas when starting out. Lots of support, durable, and affordable. If you plan to eventually race, I would start with a stadium truck. They can be equipped to bash and later made to race. Some of the Traxxas kits (Stampede/Rustler) can take a bit more to convert and aren't as competitive. (I say this looking at the top performers at World Champ events)

If you plan to eventually race, you might look at an AE or Losi (Im partial to AE myself). The nice thing is that all you really need to do is find a different set of wheels and tires and you can bash or race, just by changing wheels. I just can see running "dirt" tires on the street, only to see them get tore up.

The proximity to your LHS will also determine replacements. Buying some no-name brand of ebay is great if you're saving a few bucks, but try finding that part at a LHS. Traxxas, Losi, and Associated (AE) are incredibly common and most LHS should carry these brands.

Obviously, if you have more asphalt than dirt, you might look at an onroad sedan. That opens it up even more, however, the nicer sedans are hard to get into for your budget. You can find some decent RTR for the $$. and you can always buy road tires for offroad trucks/buggies.

I would check out some of the magazines (RC Car Action, RC Car, RCDriver, Xtreme RC etc) and read what they have said about different kits as well.

Do lots of homework before walking into a shop and plunking down hard earned $$. One of the things is getting something that limits your growth, esp. if its something you might get competitive in. Also, I have seen people spend a ton of $$ (typically on nitro) and come back later w/ the box un-opened feeling like they bit off more than they could chew.

MOmo