Wiki Posts
Search

Charger Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Charger Question

If a charger only uses AC, what sources can I use to power it? My car battery, perhaps?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No - if its truly AC only, then it will run only in the house. It will have only the wall plugin wire.

However, most AC chargers are AC/DC and will run both household and off car battery, and somewhere the charger will say that. These type chargers will usually have a additional wire equipped with clamps for hookup to a car battery. Just be sure when using the car battery to power the charger, that the auto is not running. Most AC/DC chargers warn you about this - will damage the charger.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hopefully you meant DC, not AC.
A car battery works great with DC chargers, just make sure you can start your car to get home.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
No - if its truly AC only, then it will run only in the house. It will have only the wall plugin wire.

However, most AC chargers are AC/DC and will run both household and off car battery, and somewhere the charger will say that. These type chargers will usually have a additional wire equipped with clamps for hookup to a car battery. Just be sure when using the car battery to power the charger, that the auto is not running. Most AC/DC chargers warn you about this - will damage the charger.
A cars alternator usually puts out about 14.8 volts. Why would this be a problem for the charger? I don't run my truck with my charger hooked up but I don't see 14.8v being too high. Just checkin' Duster.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its not the voltage - its the signal - car alternators DC is not very clean, it can damage components inside an RC charger. Some manuals warn you about it and some don't.

One of the guys that used to join us when we were parking lot bashing learned this the hard way, we'd been running most of the day and he got worried about his full size truck starting. He didn't think, but his charger was hooked up when he started his truck, he fried his charger.