Wiki Posts
Search

Little Kids and R/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Little Kids and R/C

Okay I don't know if this should be a post or not. I was at my local track on Wednesday. I was driving around the track just getting in some run time. And I am not sure about your track but at mine there is a plethera of little kids(ages five to nine) at my track. Well as my car flips over the little kids run out to flip my car over. Now I like to think I am a pretty good person. The kids run all over the track and flip cars over and nobody said thank you except for me. I am over stepping my bounds by tipping these kids? I mean like a buck or something. From what I noticed little kids love R/C if not more than I do. I just think its kind of sad. These kids who don't have a car run all over the track flipping over the cars.Just so they can have some interaction with the thing they love so much. And here we are not even saying thank you? I just wanted to see what ever one elses take on this is.

Last edited by Shrekito; 04-24-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Its a fine line between being appreciative and creepy, i think saying thanks is more than good enough.
Save the dollars for the pole dancers.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats what I though too. I don't want to be labeled as the creepy guy who is giving money to the little kids. I mean if or are you a parent how would you feel if your kid got a buck from the guy at the track for flipping his car over?

Last edited by Shrekito; 04-24-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Say thank you and feel good!!!!!

IMO ....If they start doing it for money........Pretty soon you will have a group of litle kids playing tug of war with you truck
Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree just say thank you and be done. My son is 9 and he flips cars over at the track when he is not running one of his. But it is a fine line I wouldnt have a problem with it but others might look at it weird.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shrekito
These kids who don't have a car run all over the track flipping over the cars.
Maybe you should allow one of these kids to run your car, instead of tipping them, since they don't have one. Maybe this is why they spend time turn marshalling in the first place.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

leave the bills, then they expect it. sad but true. but...

its the kid you help w/ a part or advice either then with his/her 1st ride or later down the road. its the kids that run around everywhere horseplaying and not paying attention that is outta bounds

R
Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im 15 but my brother is 10 and he races. he has driven a 70mph rustler and did better than i could have dreamed of, his next step will be learning how to race. i keep trying to tell him slow is fast when it comes to on-road. affroad its about durability and who has the most money
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its pretty cool when there are kids that like to turn marshal during practice. Especially when they are good at it and fast. Beats walking down from the stand all the time. Not that I crash all that much, but everybody crashes now and then. I usually try to say a "Thanks" to acknowledge my appreciation. Out here, especially now, its getting pretty hot out... If their parents are around I'll tell them "thank you" as well and offer a bottle of water or a soda for the kid... but ya... it sucks that we can't just be nice without seeming creepy... lol

Now if you know the kid.. that's a different story. I've paid my buddy's kids to turn marshal for practice and racing.

Jerome
Old 04-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

When I began reading the first post I was actually expecting the story to go the way of "DON'T TOUCH THE CAR KID!"

Don't know if I'm the only one... I do and I don't have a problem with kids marshalling. During a local race I'm okay with it, providing the youngster has been taught how to handle a car safely (espesially nitro) and understands the intent of the job (flip cars #2, keep out of the way of the race #1). I do have a problem with youngsters marshalling during free sessions. Before you know it, it becomes a competition amung the kids to see who's the first one to get to the car. 9 times out of 10 it never ends up well.

I'm a safety fiend whether I'm driving a boat or a truck. 'Cause going home hurt is always less fun than going home with broken equipment.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I personally don't like it when little kids help turnmarshall during the races, and have been known in the past to complain about it. Im all for getting the kids involved... as I too started as a little guy. But there have been many times where inexperienced marshals actually ruin the race. They step in front of other cars... I have seen them step ON other cars and break them... etc. You can't expect a kid to know how to do it properly. And when you have somebody like me... who has to drive two hours to make it to the track to race in the first place, I don't want a non-racer turn marshaling my race, and potentionally ruining the day for me.

Thanks.. but no thanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Pay them,,,no imo that would start problems mostly with the next guy who doesn't feel the need to pay and simply says thank you.
Kids marshalling races NO, If you race you marshall. Just IMO
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, my track is a 4-h track so its all kids (1st - 13th grade). This means that kids are the ones driving 95% of the time, but it is mostly younger kids (under 10) and they seem to enjoy flipping the cars and spend more time doing this. Being one of the few teenagers, it is more about being friendly and saying thank you. To me, tipping would seem kind of too close to a creep (no offense).

Mini
Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

mini wheats...if kids race they should marshall, to me that's part of the deal. I would also say that serious racers want marshalls who are qualified, so I too wouldn't want a kid or an adult who doesn't know how to marshall ruining my day, not whining is just my opinion...I can't believe this thread has lived this long..lol
Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 AM
Tech Initiate

and the kids at my track do race and marshall in their spare time agree experience marshalls are necessary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.