Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help me correct understeer please (RC18T).... >

Help me correct understeer please (RC18T)....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me correct understeer please (RC18T)....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Help me correct understeer please (RC18T)....

Hello all, when I go racing my RC18T on a local parking lot track, I have severe understeer. I literally need to slow down to a crawl to turn, but I am great on the straightaways. My truck is mostly stock except for ProLine Road Rage tires. I will be getting adjustable turnbuckles today and start working on adjustments and I don't know what to work on first. Here's my current setup:

Rear shocks - 40 wt. oil, stock mounting locations, blue springs, dogbones level
Front shocks - 40 wt. oil, stock mounting locations, blue/gold springs (understeer on both), dogbones level

I enter the corners fast, but the car PUSHES in the turns pretty bad. I can't get back on the throttle unless the truck is almost straight again. It seems as the truck just STICKS to the ground. I still managed to finish 1st in the A-main and I beat the lap times of the fastest 1/10 brushless mod car with lipo. I just got a new mod motor to go faster, but now I need to set up the truck to turn. Please help!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Here's a few things that may help - make sure you don't have the front tires toed in. It's common for the stock servo saver to flex under load, it's just a plastic 'c' (looks like a shock pre-load). Take an old spring and cut off a coil or two, then wrap it around the servo saver to keep the 'c' from expanding. It makes the steering MUCH more responsive.
If that doesn't help, try standing up the front shocks - more body roll = more steering. Or, lay down the rears to free up the back end so it rotates easier.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You need to shift traction from the rear, to the front. Here are some basics you can try (not all at one time)

Softer rubber in front
Stiffer springs, thicker oil in rear
Softer springs, thinner oil up front
Lower roll center up front
zerod ackerman
More negative camber up front
less toe rear
Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

The fastest way to solve this problem is to use higher grip front tire to increase the front traction, or you can use less grip rear tire to balance the under/oversteer. Remember the only contact between your car and the ground is your tire contact patch, so if the tire is right, you are 80% set. Playing around the suspension, mechanical links may help you gain some traction but will not be as fast as trying different tires.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

cant you adjust your camber???
if so give it a little more negative camber

if your tires look like this.... [ ]--[ ] you need to adjust this to look like this / \ this will make your tires "lean" a little bit into the turn as your "body rolls" through the turn giving you more bite to the track

although your tires play a big part in this, adjusting your camber helps in a big way..
Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You getting to much rear traction that is what causes push. You can do a number of things to get more steering. You can run a stiffer spring in the rear, stand up your rear shocks etc. Front camber would work to, but you will get premature tire wear.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

lol if premature ejac......tire wear (haha) gets me to the podium i would take that. i also found that alot of truggys and some others just like to push reguardless of what you do. i mean you can minimize it but on some models its just always there.