Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fantom Dyno Possible Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Fantom Dyno Possible Mods

I'm looking to buy or build a dyno for my Mini-Z's and slotcars, both of which use FC-130 motors. I was originally planning on building something, but my research indicated that there are quite a few dynos available for RC cars. So instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd see what's already out there first. My research revealed several dynos, but none specifically for the FC-130. One company offers a modified Fantom for these motors, but it's a bit pricey at almost $600. A little more research indicated that the Fantom seems to be the most common dyno, and the most available on the used market, and the cheapest used. So, given my budget, a used Fantom it is... if I can modify it for my application. I'm pretty sure I can fab up some type of mount using a Mini-Z motor mount or a slotcar chassis, but I don't know about the software. Can I set a value in the software for a custom weight disk? Can you input a gear ratio for testing through a differential? Can I supply different voltages to the motors (Mini-Z and slotcar motors have different voltage ratings)? Can I get data out of the software into a text file or spreadsheet?

If the software is not capable of any of this, are any of the RS-232 data I/O formats available?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

I have a Fantom Dyno in my garage collecting dust. I love it but don't really use it anymore. If interested in it contact me via PM. I'll let it go for cheap. Not sure if the software is modifiable and I would sell as is, but it does work.