Wiki Posts
Search

nOOb question about motors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default nOOb question about motors?

I am thinking of buying a motor for my Slash. I would like to go brushless. I see all kinds of numbers like Novak 8.5, Orion 10.5 all the way up to 17.5 What do these numbers mean? When you go brushless what else do you have to do? Do you have to change the Speed control? I see motors in the for sale section for $50 or so, but then I see one for $250. Any enlightenment would be great.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

just like brushed the lower the turn the faster the motor. get the traxxas vxl brushless systemfor your slash. with the right stuff you can make your slash go 70mph.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Traxxas Slash Novak 8.5 16p 86s 7.4 Volts - 2s 6000Mah 7.4 Novak SS Good compromise for power and speed

the vxl is a good deal too!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scout67
I am thinking of buying a motor for my Slash. I would like to go brushless. I see all kinds of numbers like Novak 8.5, Orion 10.5 all the way up to 17.5 What do these numbers mean? When you go brushless what else do you have to do? Do you have to change the Speed control? I see motors in the for sale section for $50 or so, but then I see one for $250. Any enlightenment would be great.
Thanks,
Ken

you would have to change to a BL speedo, in order to run a brushless motor. For Brushed there is only a Positive and a Negative required to run the motor, where as for BL theres a Positive, Negative, and another one. As for what the numbers mean, they are broken down into classifications.
10.5 BL = 19T Brushed
13.5 BL = In between 19T and 27T
17.5 BL = 27T stock brushed motor

There are advantages to running BL, like timing change. And disadvantages b/c if you gear too high on a BL it will give out on you in the middle of a heat, where as a Brushed will slowly lose power and will eventually stop working.

They say BL is mantinence free, but honestly to keep it running efficent its good to clean it out every year or so

just my $.02
Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markus216
you would have to change to a BL speedo, in order to run a brushless motor. For Brushed there is only a Positive and a Negative required to run the motor, where as for BL theres a Positive, Negative, and another one. As for what the numbers mean, they are broken down into classifications.
10.5 BL = 19T Brushed
13.5 BL = In between 19T and 27T
17.5 BL = 27T stock brushed motor

There are advantages to running BL, like timing change. And disadvantages b/c if you gear too high on a BL it will give out on you in the middle of a heat, where as a Brushed will slowly lose power and will eventually stop working.

They say BL is mantinence free, but honestly to keep it running efficent its good to clean it out every year or so

just my $.02
10.5 BL is faster than a 19t... ROAR rules 13.5/19t....17.5/27t just letting you know
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks markus.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default race or speed

Are you interested in racing your slash at a track, overall speed, or just bashing?

Personally I would stay away from the velinion package from traxxas. For a cheaper price you can purchase a castle creations or even a novak combo that can be programmed exactly how you want it. You also have a larger selection of motors to choose from depending on what your goals are.

Just my .02. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm. the vxl package is good, but for the money I would want something that is programmable and that I can adjust to fit my needs.