Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Which one of these 2 r/c's should i get? >

Which one of these 2 r/c's should i get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which one of these 2 r/c's should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which one of these 2 r/c's should i get?

Okay, so I'm trading my PB gun for a R/C.

Heres the thing, im a TOTAL Newb when it comes to these things, i was hoping to get some help deciding on which is the better deal all around?

i'll be using the car on road, as well as off road on grass and possibly sand, maybe in dirt.

here are my choices:

1. Traxxas T-maxx 3.3. steering servo is upgraded to a hi tech, exhaust is upgraded, wheels & rims r 40 ser, k&n air filter, his truck was a 2.5 and he upgraded it to a 3.3. this is everything he told me, i dont really know much about much when it comes to the RC.

2. Thunder Tiger ST-1 1/8th scale truggy. aluminum bearing steering with the Saxton steering mod. carbon fiber chassis brace, Spektrum 2.4ghz radio, RB Concept .21 WS7-III engine, Airtronics ultra high speed, high torque steering servo, 3 sets of wheels and tires, TT.28 pull engine, and many spare parts, and bump starter.

(just added!)
3. was just also offered this, RC10 GT2 Factory team edition. Comes with novarossi .12 race engine. a box full of extra parts and tuning items like springs, etc. bunch of bodies for it, all custom paint jobs in pretty good shape.

which is the better deal, please help!

sorry if im a total newb, but im here to learn! i will be searching and reading in the mean time, but i need to make a decision by tomorrow, thats why im posting for help.

thanks in advance!

Zeeshan
Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i would go rc10gt2 but thats just me if you dont let me know what they want for it im looking for one*** i had a tmaxx and i liked it but i like stadium trucks more and also i dont know much about the thunder tiger so there is my opinion
Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

my advice if you a nubee....START WITH ELECTRIC. a used nitro is like someones x-wife, used, abused, and no idea where its been. plus a good brushless will out perform most nitros
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thats a good way to put it and also i thought about it the tmaxx would probly be best for you if you are getting started
Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by offtraxx
my advice if you a nubee....START WITH ELECTRIC. a used nitro is like someones x-wife, used, abused, and no idea where its been. plus a good brushless will out perform most nitros

but he is right, start with electric... its alot easyer for someone new to understand...
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by offtraxx
you mean any nitro lol. electric has made a comeback with easier maintenance, long runtime, and the brushless and lipo stuff.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Rookie

whats a GOOD and FAST electric to start with? i would like to look into it.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

if ur just out to play, a traxxas VXL rustler might be a starting point. its very durable and pretty quick. it comes rtr (ready to run) for about $270, all you need is batteries and a charger. they also have a VXL stampede, same durability as the rusty with a little more ground clearance.

losi makes a brushless rtr called the speed-t, its more of an onroad truck than an all out basher. there supost to do 65 mph out of the box with a big lipo battery

for batteries and chargers, start with something simply. anything over a 4000 nimh will give you about 15 min off good run time. and for twice the money go with lipo and you will get twice the run time and 40% more speed.

if ur on a budget, get a slash. $200 rtr and its almost indestructable, plus alot of race clubs are starting classes for the when u get sick of just playing around
Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXUHD1**&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXUVY4**&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXSDB6**&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXSDB7**&P=7
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22790

the firstorm will go the fastest on a cheap battery, any speed claims you see are with a $200+ battery

best batt for the $$
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/32076

best charger for the $$
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/26108
Old 02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

so electric run times are only like 15 mins? thats no fun.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zeeshan
so electric run times are only like 15 mins? thats no fun.
with a lipo and brushless you get about 30min, then you put a new batt in...

trust me, you don't want nitro, its messy, gets everywere, it smells, the nabores hate it, PIA to tune the engine, nitro is $30+ a gallon(about 2-3 weeks of driveing, if your lucky) glow plugs are $6+ each,the starter batts can go dead, there super high matanice, you cant just turn them off and leave them sit. and if you get out of range they keep going and going and going and going

a reciver batt in a nitro only goes for 44min/hour tops, and you get 8-13 min on a tank of gas
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I personally like nitro better because i really like to mess around with gas engines. I started out with a lx-5 rustler. Its pretty good now that i put a new brushless motor and esc in. If you dont like high maintenance i wouldnt go with the nitro first. But man I cant wait for the nitro season to come.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would go with the T-Maxx
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would steer you more towards electric. Nitro does take knowledge in tuning to make run right. For a beginner a electric truck like a t4 of XXXT would be ur best bet. Easy to drive and durable.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
with a lipo and brushless you get about 30min, then you put a new batt in...

trust me, you don't want nitro, its messy, gets everywere, it smells, the nabores hate it, PIA to tune the engine, nitro is $30+ a gallon(about 2-3 weeks of driveing, if your lucky) glow plugs are $6+ each,the starter batts can go dead, there super high matanice, you cant just turn them off and leave them sit. and if you get out of range they keep going and going and going and going

a reciver batt in a nitro only goes for 44min/hour tops, and you get 8-13 min on a tank of gas
ive gone an hour on my battery, if you dont have proof dont post.

people who hate nitro are people who are not mechanically inclined or arent into the hobby enough to care. if u race then that can change but most people who bash nitro dont race and never will.... nitro isnt as hard as people say/think.

this guy i quoted must be a nerd or something to point out every little think and its funny. i race, a gallon of gas lasts me and my father(he races with me) about a month. we race every weekend. as long as u have a top engine, not a crap rtr engine then your tune will last, i rarely touch mine except at night when the temp changes or if it just rained.

electic and nitro are two different classes. the electric will win 9/10 times on a short, technical track. but if u put a nitro vs an electric on an long, open, actual race track it will be a good race, then it goes down to skill.

since your new you can go nitro or electric. you will have problems with both. you will need to maintain both. if u get an electric stick with a nimh battery and a cheap ride. traxxas makes good trucks but they break easy. if you want something more durable go with losi or associated but as long you jump them they will break as well but its better quality. A traxxas Slash has been known as a VERY nice ride for beginners.
once you use your truck for a little and get used to it you can swap over to lipo but it can be expensive and dangerous. lipos can catch fire and burn your house down if your not careful thats why every one who has responded go lipo are not giving good advise.

if you want more help u can pm me. i will help you any way i can. im unbias because i like both nitro and electric. just let me know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.