Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOTS of newbie questions PLease help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LOTS of newbie questions PLease help

Hey as i've been reading through these forums, i find that a lot of people need constant brush replacement or something like that, why? Will a more expensive servo improve driving? what should be a good pinion gear size for touring? and finally on my futaba radio, there are 2 circular things that say ST.TRIM adn TR.TRIM what are these?
Old 10-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Electric motors wear quickly, so doing work on the motors keeps them in good condition. Most people on here race so they go through alot of maintance each weekend to keep there motors in top condition. When you first start, doing heaps of maintance isn't extremely necessary, you can buy a motor and run it for quite a while without needing to do much(but you must keep it clean, just flush it out with motor spray if it gets dirty). But if you want to race seriously you'd be looking at alot more maintance to stay competative(in most cases).

A fast servo isn't necessary if your bashing with your car up and down the street. If your racing work on geting around the track without hitting anything before upgradeing to a high end servo(unless the servo you have is so crapy that inhibits that) which is unlikely.

Pinion gear, first we need to know a few things before we can help you, what car, what spur and what sort motor?

TR. Trim - The throttle trim makes sure that yout car dosn't start moving when you turn it on, you car should stay still, if you have the trim set incorrectely your car will either move foward, move back or stay still(if your esc is fwd/brake only). You want it set so there is no noise from the esc and so your car dosn't move when turned on.

ST. Trim - This is set so that your car dosn't steer to one side as your driving, set it so your car goes straight.

Hope this helps.

fatdoggy
Old 10-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey first off, thanks a lot for your help. I had a T3 running a Midnight 2 pro motor with a 48P Pinion 21t gear, i thought it ws too big becasue the spur and the gear were a tight fit. Now i'm thinking of getting a touring sedan, what gear would be a right fit for the midnight 2 pro motor? Also on my futaba radio, there is a sliding circular thing above the trigger that can be moved left and right, what does that do?? Also, im thinking about getting solderable batteries, but i have a question about those, if you want to run that kind of battery, do you have to constantly resolder the bateries to the esc? And ALso, who sells nice brushes?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

OK wait a sec, it sounds like you only need help with the touring car not the T3. Ok, what type of touring car and how many teeth are there on the spur gear(there is no way we can help you without knowing these things). The spur gear is in the car(the big one).

The circular spinning disk decides how much servo throw your car gets(steering dual rates). Usually it's spin foward for more steering throw and spin back for less.

Batteries, I'd say look at gp3300 cells. If your not racing you really don't need to assemble your packs in side by side or saddle(you can just buy stick packs). But if you decide to solder your packs up yourself then you can solder on plugs so that you don't have to solder the esc to the batts, just clip in and out. Deans has "ultra plugs" that work well.

Brushes, if your looking for long wear and still decient performance the Reedy 766 brushes may work ok, but I don't have any experience with the midnight so it's kind of a shot in the dark.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

FYI, I run ready 766s and they are awesome performers! My monster stocks, although well tuned, are blistering fast with 766s. 767s will provide a few more RPM, but will wear the comm MUCH faster. 766 is a great balance. I get mine in bulk from www.kthobbies.com
Old 10-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Tech Rookie

19t motors What are some good 19t motors out there? Are midnight 2 pro 19t?
Old 10-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by holycow
FYI, I run ready 766s and they are awesome performers! My monster stocks, although well tuned, are blistering fast with 766s. 767s will provide a few more RPM, but will wear the comm MUCH faster. 766 is a great balance. I get mine in bulk from www.kthobbies.com
If you think your Monster Stock run good with the Reedy's, try some Putnams and you'll be amazed at how much better it runs.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

are 19t motors considered stock? When is it considered modified? Also i am intersted in saddlepacks and there seems to be no other way than to solder and resolder the saddle packs onto the car after each use, is there any easy way of taking out and putting in the battery??
Old 10-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

first of all, a 19 turn could be used in modified class, mod is basically any motor that has less than 20 turns(traxxas motor). A 19 turn is a spec motor in most cases. Talking abot saddlepacks, u first need to make sure the style of battery will fit into your car. Where you would solder the wires on the battery, attach wires coming from the battery, then put plugs on the end, preferably deans plugs, and put some plugs on the speed controler.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Actually mod is any motor less then 27 turns with locked 24 degrees timing. The midnight 2 is a non-rebuildable stock motor. (27T, 24* timing)

Here's how you build saddles,

http://www.balakracing.com/convertsaddle.htm

and side by side,

http://www.balakracing.com/convertsidebyside.htm

Check out the rest of bryans site, it has some great info.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Rookie

if i wanted to attach a pair of dean's plugs, do i have to cut the wires off my esc?
Old 10-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

cut them, um, not really. you just need to strip the insulation off the end of the two wires you are putting the plugs on, then solder the wires on the plugs.
my way of soldering the plugs, is to lay the plug flat on the table, then say, black flat, and solder it that way. hehe.