Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rustler VXL gearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rustler VXL gearing

I am only a few months into rc and have spent many hours in my local rc shops, tracks and online trying to research and get educated, but still consider myself a noob to all of this stuff. A little history and my current specs. I have changed out my Rustler tires to the Stampede tires currently running 25/86 gearing with a Venom 3s lipo. The only other upgrades that I have are integy shocks, traxxas aluminum castor and steering blocks, and rpm front/rear arms. My question is that my temps seem to be really high 160-170 on the motor and a couple of degrees cooler on the esc. My thinking was that I would gear my truck the same as the Stampede (7 cell NIMH) since the tires are bigger and heavier. I am not looking to go 70mhp, but would rather an all around good gearing for a little bashing and fun with my kids. Me and my son have been racing a little at our local indoor carpet track on foams, although I run a 19t brushed and modest gearing for better control as recommended by one of the local techs. I have attached a link to the chart for the stampede. The recommended gearing for the Rustler with 3s lipo is 31/76. The motor was swapped out by traxxas due to high temps running stock tires and gearing, so I do not suspect a bad motor. If anyone else has seen anything like this or has a recommendations, the help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...peed_chart.jpg
Old 11-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I'm farly new myself and I have lerned to reduce temps u need to reduce ur pinion. with the extra weight and fast motor I would try a 16-19t and go from there..hope I could help
Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by offtraxx
I'm farly new myself and I have lerned to reduce temps u need to reduce ur pinion. with the extra weight and fast motor I would try a 16-19t and go from there..hope I could help
how many motors did you fry before you figured that out???

but he is right, start with a 16-19t pinion , for $11 you can't go wrong with these, its great to experament with.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Traxxas Rustler
Motor: 4.6 kv
Pinion: 13t
Spur: 84t
Battery: 3S Lipo
Posted by: Floogldood

Traxxas Rustler
Motor: VXL motor
Pinion: 17t
Spur: 86t
Battery: 3s Lipo
ESC: VXL ESC
Posted by: Bryan
Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I am running 28/83 and with a 2S my motor temps have never went above 110 - 115* and ESC hasn't gone above 90*. When I run a 3S with the same gearing temps are slightly higher (5 - 10*).
My advice is to make sure you run the fan on your ESC and pop some holes for airflow in the body.
The Jaco foams are lighter and have less rotating mass which puts less stress on the motor.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Talking

try one gearing and run a few laps. If the motor is hot afterwards, get a lower gearing. If the ESC is hot, then get a higher gearing. If both are hot, get a heat sing
Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

31/76 isn't recommended gearing, its gearing for 65mph +
You said you didnt want to race, yet you have gone for the high gearing, and you fitted Stampede tyres, which have a much greater rolling radius, which gears it up even more!
The stock gearing of 25/83 with a 3 cell will knock over most basher rigs anyway, so why change it?
Just drop the pinion size right down to 17 as suggested or to a 20 max.
With the VXL esc always make sure you run a fan, (they are a genuine 200amp esc) and always check the motor temp.
They are an underated motor kv wise but they do suffer from heat exhaustion!

P.S The 13/84 and the 17/86 will prove to be quite slow, however if you want to keep those wheels on its worth a shot....
Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the stampede vxl try a 20/86 I works good for all around use. try a fan on the esc and a heat sink/no fan on the motor that will help alot with out adding to much extra weight. the bigger your pinion is the hotter it will get, so be careful 200 is vxl's limit
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

I certainly think you are over gearing the truck. I have a XL5 rustler that is running brushless now and I have found that a 26 Pinion and 86 spur has turned out the be a great combo. I only run 8.4 NiMH on the track although I do have 3c lipo. I just found it to be a waste of time on the track. The brushless motor will pull to no end and the gearing can get me by most off the turns. I am only running at max 120 degrees after a hard run with this set up.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Brushlessboy
31/76 isn't recommended gearing, its gearing for 65mph +
You said you didnt want to race, yet you have gone for the high gearing, and you fitted Stampede tyres, which have a much greater rolling radius, which gears it up even more!
The stock gearing of 25/83 with a 3 cell will knock over most basher rigs anyway, so why change it?
Just drop the pinion size right down to 17 as suggested or to a 20 max.
With the VXL esc always make sure you run a fan, (they are a genuine 200amp esc) and always check the motor temp.
They are an underated motor kv wise but they do suffer from heat exhaustion!

P.S The 13/84 and the 17/86 will prove to be quite slow, however if you want to keep those wheels on its worth a shot....
I know this thread is very old, but I stumble upon it and I must clarify what Brushlessboy was saying. The VXL-3s esc's 200amp is more like a peak amp rating. If it really can do 200amp constant like a MGM esc it wouldn't need a fan at all the running a puny 540 size motor with 3s