Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complete newb

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default Complete newb

Whats goin on guys, I am looking at getting into the RC world but don't really know what to look for. I used to have an electric tl-01 that i messed around drifting with and I think I got rid of it some time ago. I want to get into offroading (campus has some mean gaps!). I want to mainly jump, and do the whole open field deal. I know that means strong parts, and bigger money, but I can always work my way up. I need some ideas as far as what trucks to look at running. I'm thinking a T-maxx, or a Rustler, but what else it out in that price range? Are those my better choices, or should I be looking somewhere else? Thanks in advance. Oh, and btw, I don't have any LHS' so it would all be online through a forum contributor or the 4sale section on here...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can help you make headlights - just pm me

but here's your sample shopping list for an rc dude such as you:

LXHDJ1 DuraTrax IntelliPeak ICE DC Competition Charger 129.99
LXULS4 SMC Racing 5000mAh 28C LiPo w/Traxxas A 159.99
LXSDB6** Traxxas Stampede VXL RTR 289.98

a warning about lipo batteries - they light on fire if you don't charge them with at the lipo setting and at the correct rate.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

I forgot to mention i believe that I am lookin for a nitro setup, if its something that can be bought online? (gas able to ship?) Also I would like something with a fairly large aftermarket following.

edit: i already have a brain959 charger i believe it is?? I had it a long time ago and its just sitting. Worth using still? I know they were fairly high end back when I bought it.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

the 989 is still a good charger. sound to me u are on a budget, sory if I'm wrong. just starting again I wood stick to electric. a vxl stampede was sugested is a capable truck for what u intend to use it for, parts are cheap and lots of them available. nitro will requier alot more fine tuning and the extra stuff you need to make it run all adds up very quikly
Old 11-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

might be in my better interest to run electric around campus anyways huh? no school officer barbrady's can hear me as much. might be a little more discreet. i'll check out the stampede.

what is the difference in lipo batts and the others, would my brain 989 charger be able to handle the duties of charging that up? and the VXL would be the brushless setup for the stampede, right?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

would i be better off with the stampede or the rustler you think? both look like a load of fun really. rustler a tad cheaper....but not by much. We don't have a track, and really all I would use it for is around campus, or around town if I found a cool gap and drop or something. A crap skate park across town, and of course field play. I have a gravel pit not far from me. I love how the monster trucks can look, but havent seen a staidum truck like a rustler modded with better wheels and tires, alluminum parts, and that type deal. hmm.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dont run the 989 for lipo ALL major companies say dont use them with lipos
Old 11-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

alright, so being im not racing, would something like a Ni-Mh be suitable for me? something the 989 CAN charge...
Old 11-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

also, are these trucks suitable for a truck class race? and actually keep up....

I probably won't race a lot, but we may hit the track just to go and have some fun.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

well the stampede is supposubly really great for jumping..
i have a rustler xl-5 which i think is great! for a cheap car it can go pretty fast...
i suggest if u want good speed get eight cell batteries
but be careful cuz u can burn out the motor, i should know, i just did it for the second time. But its ok if u live in a cool place. also iv had mine for a while and nothins broke except the motor. so just another plus

ps- pm me cuz i probably wont remember to check this again

EDIT: u can find really cheap batteries at all-battery.com
Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Taxxas cars and trucks are mostly for bashing, the thing is a tank!. The Rustler wouldn't really be competitive against today's trucks. There aren't a ton of performance parts for them, although there are some aftermarket parts available... there is a difference. If you want to bash and race I would look into an AE T4, probably going with a RTR version. They are durable and easy to turn into a full blow race truck, if you decide that's what you want.

Don't get me wrong, you can still race your Rustler and have a ton of fun doing it, I just think that you would be at a mechanical disadvantage.

As for the stampede, I don't think that there's a race class for them, and they are only 2wd, and that's a no-no for Monster trucks in my book.

What ever you get I'm sure you'll be happy, good luck and welcome back to RC

Jay