Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hello. New to all things RC.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hello. New to all things RC.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum or any really for RC related stuff. I currently live in Canada (NL Provence).

I am currently trying to learn how to build a RC car (I use the word "car" loosely, I'm referring to any type of land vechile) but I am lacking a basic understanding of how everything works.

What I need to get started is something to explain every part in a RC car in general terms, then I can figure out if some of my future plans are possible.

Current interests are gas engines, RC land vechiles with tank like tracks and water proofing.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Understanding how everything works will be the least of your problems.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Yea, that was real helpful.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMHO......... Hands on experience is the best thing for someone getting into RC land vehicles. Gas is not a good place to start into RC.
I would look at a RTR Traxxas Slash at $200 for your first RC but it sounds like 4 wheel drive would be more what you are looking for.
Traxxas E Maxx RTR is in my opinion one of the best at $360 to start with. The E Maxx has been out for a long time and there are a endless number of hop ups for it and parts are easy to find. When it comes to off road bigger is better, 1/10th is to small and 1/8 can cost big $$$, The E maxx is just the right size take a look at them both but get a RTR to start with. If there is a hobby shop near you go look at what they have the most parts for first.
I hope that helps you in some way.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 10-28-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The EMaxx is the only 4wd vehicle that is waterproofed from the factory that I know of. You can waterproof Electronics yourself by either wrapping condoms or putting silicone around the seams of servos.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

he said he wnted tank style treads, you could try tamiya, they make R/C tanks that can even shoot BB's.

as stated above, gas is not the place to start, an engine just adds another variable to the frustration.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll get a "cheap" gas engine kit to build and see how it all goes together.

Then I will look further into modifying a kit (or getting all the parts needed individually if possible) with a custom chassis and steering by controlling the wheels on each side rather then turning the front wheels.

If it proves to hard I'll just build a small dune buggy (which I CAN do). -edit- One that you get in and drive -edit-
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Little_Mike
he said he wnted tank style treads, you could try tamiya, they make R/C tanks that can even shoot BB's.

as stated above, gas is not the place to start, an engine just adds another variable to the frustration.

Thanks for that idea but I have built those tanks that you are talking about (as static models) and I can tell you without a doubt that is not what I am looking for.

But I will take your advice and get a electric kit along with a gas one (depending on the cost at the LHS).
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ZzZ_Guy
Yea, that was real helpful.
I apologize, It just sounded like you were trying to build your own car from scratch. Which is hard in its own right.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
I apologize, It just sounded like you were trying to build your own car from scratch. Which is hard in its own right.
lol im doing that

anyway if you want a good cheap electric thats a big offroader, a tamiya clodbuster is good. find them off ebay but if i were you ill go to youtube and type in all these names and see which one u like the look of
Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

wait a minute ther is a car! i remember now.

I think Kyosho made a nitro powered arctic vehicle with treads/tracks on it.
Im not sure what its called, blizzard something, but I would look into that