Wiki Posts
Search

First Race - Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default First Race - Results

I am totally hooked into this sport. Yesterdays racing was an experience i will never forget and i ended up having a great run.

For obvious reasons i was put in C grade. A quick lap around this track is 37sec.

I didn't get much practise before the start of the race, but it was needed none-the-less.

First race i was completing laps in about 55 - 60 secs. I completed 6 laps until 2 minutes before the completion of the heat a screw on my rear shock came out, so i had to withdraw. Came, 4th from 7.

2nd race i finished and came third.

3rd race my rear brakes decided to play up and be constatntly on as soon as i backed off the throttle.. you can only imagine it was like learning to drive all over again. But i finished the race.

B main final. (B+C drivers), I had an awesome start and was in 3rd place after the 4th turn before i crashed. Back of the field i went. But after 6 laps they announced over the PA i was in 3rd position. Quite honestly, i was flying. Had my first pit stop after 9 minutes and back out i went... 6 minutes to go and something is wrong.............. I blew the centre diff.

I was pulling lap times around 45secs which is what a B grader would pull on this track. I ended up 6th overall from 10 drivers.

Can't wait till next race day.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Congrats. I say finishing in any place is better than not finishing at all. And if a diff is all you lost, then you made out quite well.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Congrats on your race most important thing to remember is you had fun. Fix your diffs and just practice and you will see your lap times drop.Good luck
Old 08-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

haha yeah, racing's a blast isn't it. If you had that much fun the first time just wait until you get to practice some more, learn the car, and figure out what all needs regular maintenance. I bet you'll have even more fun when you're more comfortable with the car and get to finish every race problem free.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Adept

i'm sure it's because i'm new, but it always took me about 3 laps each race to get into the groove, it was probably nerves, after that i only got quicker and quicker. i'm still waiting for the results to be posted online.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, it takes me a lap or two to dial into the car. That's when the tires get warm and bite into the track. And it gets even sweeter when you win first place.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wonder if those nerves ever really go away..congrats, way to go on race day.
when you start making it through races crash free, then youll turn your attention to the car.
and remember, slow is fast, and dont drive angry.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Congrats on doing so well,

I still get that feeling when I get up on the drivers stand and they start announcing all the drivers names and sponsors. Its funny sometimes because you think you are the only one that gets the nerves, but then you look next to you and you see your fellow racers hands shaking like crazy cause he is nervous too.
This past spring, I was at an indoor nitro race with about 300 other guys, most of whom have raced before. We had construction scaffolding for a drivers stand, and in one of my qualifyers I felt the platform under me vibrating. It was one of the guys next to me, his knees were shaking that much.
LOL, I love what this hobby does to you...
Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

one thing i learnt while racing is to ... not race.

i was not worried about what everyone else was doing and just focussing on my car and my driving. i can't wait till next weekend to see how i go. as long as nothing breaks i reckon i could just about make the A main final... that may be aiming too high, but if my car setup stays 100%, i think i have a good chance... but from 7 drivers in the C class. i came 4th in the first race DNF, 3rd in the next - Finished, and i think 4th again - Finished, but i was driving around with my rear brakes locked for the entire race.

not saying i will make the A main, but my lap times at the end were only 5 seconds slower than the A grade. At the start of the day i was running 55 - 60 sec laps. at teh end of the day i was running 45sec laps. A grade run about 40 sec... so not that far to go.

i'm still waiting for the race results to be posted from last weekend as i want to keep them as a record for myself.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Tech Champion

fast, consistant laps and a well dialled/looked after car will take you a long way. Watch the A main guys race and you will see what the fastest way around the track is.

all the best!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the tips...

from my last race i started out with "average" lap times of 65 sec and bought this down to 57sec in the final... now i've got somewhere to progress from... (comparison A grade "average" lap is 48sec)

As long as my buggy stays in 1 piece i should be right. i've richened my HSN 3 hours as i think it was too lean before and i was losing top end speed.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Looking at lap times and seeing where you went wrong is a good place to be, but don't get too hit up about it as you might worry too much about that "big mistake" and dwell on it.

Focusing on just one aspect too much doesnt help, it all comes as a package.

Sounds like you're having fun though,so just keep at it
Old 09-13-2008, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

one thing i know is that if my cars engine tuning is correct and it's handling is correct the last step is me driving the thing.

assuming car doesn't break and i can finish a race i know i get better and faster.

well, last weeks meeting was cancelled due to track being too wet so it's on for tomorrow.

i've put crimefighters on the front and bowties on the rear. if i can't handle that. i'll swap the front for bowties. since last meet, i've richened top end needle, but i will check this in practice. my shocks are set medium - front, light - rear.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

well, another day of racing has passed and i'm more than pleased with my results.

average lap times have now come down to 53secs from 58 and i'm pulling in a few 47sec laps consistantly now.

first final i was 2nd then 1st with 3 minutes left until a few crashes that i couldn't come back from.. i came 4th and didn't make the A main as the top 2 went through from this final.

but i had fun.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

but i had fun.[/QUOTE]

thats all that matters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.