Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mi3 Gearchart + temps

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Mi3 Gearchart + temps

Hi there, im new to RC racing and im racing in Australia in 27t stock class, im running a Speed Passion 17.5BL with 70 pinion and 35/37 spurs.

the 37 gets me close to the other cars im racing with but not quite equal ( slower on straights).

I have looked at gearchart.com to try and work out the rollouts but im kinda new to this ... is it possible to gear it with a few more teeth on the spur or am I getting into danger zone with this motor ( dont have a temp gauge ) Im running an LRP fan cooled heatsink on it

if possible can someone post me the link to the gearcharts site with the table I need
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Before I got a temp gun, I'd use my finger to test the temperature of the motor. If you can't hold your finger on the motor for more than five seconds, then it's too hot. But really a temp gun will make your life easier, and you can adjust your gearing to the temperature of the manufacture's specifications.

For example, novak suggestes a temperature of 160-175f for a 17.5, so I gear to around that temperature ratio.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Initiate

ok just got a temp gun at lunch time lol, now all I need to fin is reccomended temp specs for the motor
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Initiate

ok im slowly getting there!!

im looking around the net at gear sets you can buy, but unsure of the pitch im pretty sure I need 48 pitch is this correct??
Old 08-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

48's, from what I've noticed have a bit more of a nub at the end of the tooth, and are taller.