Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC need help

I'm looking into buying my first nitro Rc car. I would like to stay with a nitro and something less than $200.00.

http://www.raidentech.com/sremotr4dr1s.html

Is this one any good?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

honestly, you get what you pay for. never heard it. lotta crud out there. streamline ur search to things you see discussed in the forums. nitro, 200bux, will not happen. sorry to burst your bubble. forget continuing costs, honestly its just throwin your $ away. u can start in electric for that. up to u. good luck

r
Old 07-27-2008, 02:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ya...um..

I have to agree with the poster above... $200.. if you buy that thing.. I think you will be really unhappy.. It might run for a bit if it was actually tuned right.. but after half a gallon or so.. I bet it's going to fall apart..

You are probably looking at more into the $400 - $500 reality for a hobby car that will last and give you any sort of performance. If there are any r/c race tracks around.. you might want to go and hang out a bit. Most r/c folks are pretty friendly at tracks and will share whatever they know with you.

I know nitro (gas) trucks sound like fun.. and they are.. but they are also a LOT of work... If you just want to "backyard bash" and not race.. there are a lot of cheaper, decent basher electric trucks out there.. Traxxas makes a few. You can get a Traxxas electric "Slash" for around $200.. then you'll need a charger and a couple of battery packs.. These trucks are pretty tough and look very scale (not too slow either).

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

We'll I looked around and found this one. http://rcracingunlimited.com/index.p...product_id=464

I really had my heart set on a nitro, but I guess I can use this to get into the hobby and wait until x-mas to get a nitro.

How long is the battery life on one of these?
What all should I buy along with it?
Any major mods to be done?
Are there plenty of spare parts for these?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Also Where is the cheapest place online to get parts (haha cheap). Wheels, tires, ETC..

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

That's a great backyard basher! Pretty tough truck.. get some extra "spur" gears.

I like www.gohobbies.com for their prices. Just about all "parts" are about 30% off. They might take a few days to fill the order as they don't actually stock the majority of parts.. but they get them in real quick.

One good thing about the Traxxas cars is if you are on a budget and want to change to another car or truck, the radio gear can be moved.. now a lot of folks will tell you that the radio and esc is cheap.. well.. maybe.. but they work.. and you can put them into a new car and get running without having to spend more money right away.

The main thing is remember this is a hobby and have fun!

Jerome
Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Still on the battery life question- How long does a battery last?
What brand should I look into?
Can you put a bigger battery in?
Can you get a link for the spur gear specific for that model?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Rookie

The car is gonna cost me $165.00.

I don't think it comes with a battery.
So can someone put me a list of stuff together with links on extra stuff to buy with it.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:38 PM

u'll need extra stuff nitro or electric. u can get batteries that last only 5min, u can get batteries that last 50min in a slash!!

average battery that doesnt break the bank. u can still run longer (and with less hassle) than a nitro. 10-12min or even longer if ur just stompin around.

R
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Biggest Rookie mistake is nitro.

Start w/ electric, then graduate to nirto. Nitro is cool, but as someone who worked in a LHS, I saw sooo many people buy a nitro only to return it because they felt overwhelmed.

MOmo
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Ok.. I looked up the part on traxxas website http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ews.htm#manual

I would order an extra spur gear Part# 4690 ... maybe 2 from where you buy the truck...

Batteries.. the higher the mah number the longer the run time... there are some 'sport packs' out there in the 3300 to 5000mah range that come assembled. Traxxas does have their own plug now.. so you might have to change either the electronic speed control (esc) and charger.. or the charger and the battery to traxxas style.

In my area, many LHS (Local Hobby Shop) carry parts for these..

Good luck and have fun!

Jerome
Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Tech Rookie

I think nitro buggy beginner version from exeed rc is quite good one . That Buggy is the cheapest i know, it cost around 120 buxx. See http://www.1st-rc-car.com/ready-to-r...lack-16-engine for detail specs.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Right on..
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

There is no doubt that I can get it running. I race dirt bikes (kx250) so two stroke engines are not a problem. I think I would be happier with a nitro in the long run. The exceed looks to be pretty good quality. But I think I'm going to have to put it on hold for buying one. I have to sell two bikes first then maybe I can get one.

So now I have read the batteries last longer than a tank of nitro? How long does a 5000 Battery last?

On the exceed truck http://www.raidentech.com/sremotr4dr1s.html anyone know the ground clearance? This will pretty much be the deciding factor between the exceed nitro/electric or the traxxas.

Another question: How long is the tire life out of these? It will only be on dirt that is not hard packed.

I'm so pumped about getting one of these that I already started building me a little track across the street. Already got me 2 jumps.

Last edited by mrkawi; 07-29-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM

no1 knows b/c its a junk car from a fly-by-night chinese ripoff house.

did i mention nitro prices keep goin up and the crisis gets worse. an electric car with a lipo will run long enuff to make u think 'ok i'm tired, enuff for the night'. like the man said earlier, longer than tank of nitro.

btw, with these companies, if you do somethin like rip the pullstart cord, they tell you that u must buy a new engine, and most parts exist but are not available as supply from china is delayed. but its ur $, we can all try and help u make a good deicision with your $. but ur gonna do what u want.

go buy a slash, and start havin fun instead of wonderin/ponderin on here

R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.