Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey,

Not sure about the nitro or electric debate, but on the page that you linked for the exceed truck it gives the dimensions / specifications at the bottom.

Ground Clearance: 30 MM

Hope it helps.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
Biggest Rookie mistake is nitro.

Start w/ electric, then graduate to nirto. Nitro is cool, but as someone who worked in a LHS, I saw sooo many people buy a nitro only to return it because they felt overwhelmed.
+1

In reality there are three things you have going against you mrkawi: #1 is your budget, which while potentially doable keeps your options to the lower priced vehicles on the market; #2 is your infatuation with monster trucks, which are bigger and people tend to abuse (and thus break) more; and #3 is your infatuation with nitro, which if you're a newbie is like getting a antique Ferrari right after graduating drivers ed, too much for you to handle and way beyond your wrenching experience level to keep it running.

One last thing - while I welcome you to the hobby and your interest, I'd suggest that if you're looking at one of the "sav-a-buck" off-brand specials you're going to find it hard to get parts as well as assistance from anyone on this site.

good luck in your quest

Last edited by rocket-mtrsprts; 07-31-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From one rookie to another, the first thing you should do is get it in your head that RC cars are not cheap and you will spend more money than you thought you would. That said, IMO your budget is unrealistic even for a RTR electric. I could be wrong, but most of the 1/10th scale electrics I've seen don't come with a battery or charger. A cheap battery and charger are going to cost $70 (optimistically) and could go as high as $200+ (LiPo and supporting equipment). Almost half your budget is burned in the batteries.

While I like nitros (don't run one), I've read comments like "everybody fries their first engine". Looking at the cost of a nitro motor and your budget is blown again. Granted you claim to be experienced with two stroke engines and that should help.

Finally, with a budget of $200, I think you might end up with a dust collector.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Its ok i guess guys. I decided to get into photography. Selling 2 of my dirt bikes and I will get me a good camera.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

LOL wow...way to scare the guy off!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Doh!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hope ur budget isnt 200 for that as well. best of luck

R
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mrkawi
Selling 2 of my dirt bikes and I will get me a good camera.

Maybe you should be so quick to say stuff and read better?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1st-rc-car
I think nitro buggy beginner version from exeed rc is quite good one . That Buggy is the cheapest i know, it cost around 120 buxx. See http://www.1st-rc-car.com/ready-to-r...lack-16-engine for detail specs.
That was my first car P O S dont buy that, right now its sitting in my closet in pieces, and im using it for spare scews..