Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
1/8th scale offroad engine temp >

1/8th scale offroad engine temp

1/8th scale offroad engine temp

Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)
Default 1/8th scale offroad engine temp

Hi, Im running a Picco p7r .21 in an associated rC8 on trinity %30 nitro. What is a ball park figure for what my engine temp should be?

I know you shouldnt tune off of temp , but Im just trying to get an idea of what might be safe for teh motor.

Ill probably be racing in an ambient tmeperature of about 65 - 70 deg.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

run it around 200 degrees.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

220-240
Old 06-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Suspended

As you can see here you've gotte two answers already with a 40 degree difference in recommendations. A huge difference. Truth betold, there is no ballpark temperature range to look for. All engines are different and run at different temperatures and perform different even from the same manufacturer. Ambient tamperature makes a difference, but so does humity and altitude and direct sunlight or shade in addition to air quality index. And that doesn't even factor in the actual tune you have on the motor, how hard you drive it, or what pipe you have on it.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Like the guy said above.

Too many variables come into play. Like mentioned before air temp, shade or sunlight how hard you drive the kind of soil you run on, and so on.

My engine ( mach 427) usually runs at around 240-260 on most race days, but on some of the hot and sunny days with are temp around 105 F' that we been having here lately and especially this last race weekend, I was pitting for gas and temping at 280-300 with the same tune as the previous weeks race.

I think smoke and sound are the best way to get the right tune out of a engine. My rule of thumb is if its running with a smoke trail and dosent sound like its ready to fly to the moon and you not temping well into the 300 your fine. Unless you are one of those people that like there engine to last mutilpe seasons and 20+ gallons. Then you can tune by temp at around 200 and it should smoke plenty and gas milege should be around 5 min or so.

Another thiong to consider is the typoe of temp gun you use. I have the losi temp tuner with a plug thingy that aligns the temp censor with the top of the glow plug and also i thinig since it cover the top of the cooling head it reads a higher temp then the other ones, that dosent mean its more accurate it just seems more consistent.

Hope that helps.
Dan.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

go electric, that'll fix it.

on more serious note, dont get married to temp. if ur motor pulls hard and sounds good and leaves some smoke. ur good. leave the temp game to those idiots who cant make their car run but for 2min (or 2 crashes)

R
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

220-240