Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Motor won't stay running

I can get the motor started without any trouble. With the Igniter on the plug the motor continues to run, I throttle up all I want. If I take the Igniter off the glow plug it either continues to run forever or will cut out after a few seconds. If I throttle up a bit without the igniter on the plug it cuts out right away. Motor is an OS Max-21VZ-B V-Spec running on Sidewinder Race-Blend 20%.

Pete
Old 06-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Tech Initiate

how old is your engine? (how many gallons have you ran through it) have you changed the glow plug? is your fuel fresh? is your air filter clean ? did you always make sure to have blue smoke from the exhaust when you ran? have you checked the fuel filter? how your engine runs now has less to do with what can be wrong with it than how you have treated it when running it in the past. take care of your investment with regular maintanence.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Captpete
I can get the motor started without any trouble. With the Igniter on the plug the motor continues to run, I throttle up all I want. If I take the Igniter off the glow plug it either continues to run forever or will cut out after a few seconds. If I throttle up a bit without the igniter on the plug it cuts out right away. Motor is an OS Max-21VZ-B V-Spec running on Sidewinder Race-Blend 20%.

Pete
It sounds like it's too rich.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Engine is brand new. I think it's too rich but on the low speed needle. I'm going to lean that out a bit tonight when I get home from work and try it. Glow plugs are all brand new and it did the same thing on three of them. I doubt that they are the problem.

Pete
Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default reset neddles

if that dosn't work reset the neddles to the factory settings. it should explain how in your manual. start your engine let it warm up for a couple of minutes. make a few trips up and down the street or a few laps around the track. then start leaning the top end needle for good top speed, making sure to have blue smoke, then lean the bottom end needle for good acceleration from a stand still. at an idle if you pinch the fuel tube as close to the carb as possible and it dies right away the bottom end is to lean if it runs longer than 5 seconds or so its to rich.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

The motor starts. Will run fine at idle but if I rev it up it stops running. I've taken the High speed needle and started from fully closed and opened it three full turns. I've tried leaning it out a little at a time same thing, I've tried making it rich a little at a time with the same experience when I rev it up.

What's this sound like?

Pete
Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sounds like you have an air leak somewere. maybe in the fuel lines, the tank, the cap on the tank, around the carb, inline fuel filter.... basically check every place were air could possibly get to the motor. it will run fine at idle yes, but when you give it throttle it sucks in the extra air from were ever its coming from and throws the mixture off and kills the motor. my suggestion and the cheapest would be go out and buy some new fuel line and some small zip ties, replace all the lines and zip tie every end were the line stops. that will prevent air from coming in around the lines. you could have a crack in the tank. i honestly dont think its a tuning issue because it was running just fine before right???
Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Brand new engine and car never broken in yet. I'll check the fuel lines, the tank and the carb for any air leaks. I don't have a tie around the air filter where it slides onto the top of the carb. Would that matter?

Pete
Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

you could be getting air in there. was the motor broken in right?? or are you still breaking it in?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know its all brand new but take apart your clutch bell and clutch do inspect it and make sure nothing is broken. A bad spring or cracked shoe can drag against the clutch bell at low RPM and cause flame out..

I just did a repair on a brand new TMAXX 3.3, customer had it for 2 days and some how the clutch shoes broke on it.... You could start the truck on the ground but the moment you gave gas it would stall.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Motor hasn't been broken in since I haven't been able to keep it running. I'll take a look at the clutch shoes and see if any are broken.

Pete
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

heat up the block with a heat gun or something. it will losen the pinch on the head alittle and maybe you will be able to keep in running long enough to get a tank through it.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Okay I checked the clutch shoes. No problem there. I got the motor started and was able to gun it without it stalling but it was incredibly sluggish. That was with the manual's suggested 3 turns of the high end needle. I also noticed a bunch of fuel around the back of the motor on the base of the chassie. Does it sound like it's bogging because there's a lack of fuel and there's a leak? If anything it's leaking around the exhaust manifold.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

it could be the exhaust gasket or the backplate on the motor is lose. take the motor out of the car and check all the screws on the back of the motor some of them could be lose causing air to be drawn in and the reason for the fuel on the chassis. or worse comes to worse the block itself could be bad. how is the compression? i know you havent broken it in yet but even motors that havent been broken in have quite a bit of compression. if its really hard to turn over by hand by turning the flywheel then you my need to heat the head up. but check the gasket and the screws on the back of the motor, if there is a pull start there you might want to take that off and check the screws behind it.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Compression is good. I just checked the manifold exhaust gasket and it's cracked. There's the leak I bet. I'm ordering a new one. Do you guys think that this would make the motor sound bogged down when I gave it more throttle?

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.