Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% new to the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 100% new to the hobby

I have no questions yet and I don't even have my R/C yet. I'm getting a Traxxas Stampede VXL Brushless RTR today. I was doing a lot of research and I think it is by far the coolest electric R/C I seen. I am going to start off with the factory pinion and what not (very new to the hobby) and the lower voltage battery so I can get used to it. I also am getting the H2 SUT body for it. I am very excited and I will be on this site a lot I imagine. I'll try not to waste much space like I am with this thread but I figured I would introduce myself. Like I said I am very new and don't know anything about R/C but I am confident of my mechanical skills and am not too worried. I figured starting off with a RTR and then upgrading it later down the road would be safe for me. This thing will be doing 65+ mph very soon

I got interested in the hobby recently when I took my Nikko Jeep Rubicon TOY r/c that I have had for a long time now and wired my two 9.6v batteries in series (I believe). I was amazed how fast it was, at least 20 maybe 25mph or more. The batt. did not last but 10min. or so but it was awesome for that time. I probably used it three times before I literally burnt the gears in the rear end (melted them). I took it apart and noticed that I could still use it in low gear cause of the way it was made. So, I put it back together and probably got two more runs until finally yeah, the motor caught on fire and stopped dead in its tracks only working when I reverse at this point. Of course I kept driving it in reverse until it would not move any more. It stank something fierce I'll tell ya. I wish I had video before I burnt it cause it was soo fast you wouldn't believe it without seeing it. It was just as cool as any video I seen on You Tube. I was going to try upgrading the Nikko but realized it wasn't practical or even smart at all so now here I am.

I would like some one's opinion on some place or even literature that can learn me (lol) on how to maintain, fix and even upgrade the brush-less system trucks.I like to be a know-it-all to tell you the truth so I am always hungry to learn especially from people who are as obsessed and passionate as I am about things. If you did read this thank you, I appreciate if you can maybe give me some resources so I can do some research. I am looking as soon as I am done here but would also like some extra help as well.

Maybe I'll see some of you soon at the track or something, later y'all, [email protected]
Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i hope you have fun with your stampede, this is the right place to learn everything you'll need for your future rcing
Old 05-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Rookie

The best thing you can do is read through the instructions and assembly manual if you want to be a know-it-all. The really simple and some of the more complex questions are already answered in there. Plus, the exploded view diagrams look cool. The car comes assembled so it is easy to toss the papers and stuff aside, but you can look through it while the battery is on the charger.

When all else fails, RTFD.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

welcome to the site... I wish this site was around when I started getting into the sport back in the 88, My first car was a Lobo from sears... it was a knock off of the hornet... I later got a blackfoot and the madness started...this is an awesome site bro... I'm still learning....
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks y'all,I got home with my new Stampede charged the battery and looked over all the literature that came with it. When the battery was done I got ready and went outside. Well let me just cut right to it. Sweet, I am very happy with this buy but not even five minutes after I dropped the battery in I lost one of my front tires during a hard turn. I lost the bearings, axle, hex, all of it. I found the tire but the other stuff disappeared in the grass that I was ironically was trying to avoid. So I went to Nankin Harware and of course they were out of the parts I needed. After talking with the guy for a bit he just took apart another truck and gave me the parts. The guy even fixed mine for free. Nankin Hardware in Farmington rocks man. I should have just followed directions and checked all the parts to make sure they were tight. I have to say maybe I was a bit to anxious to get it going.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thats how ya learn. I've spun off a tire or 2 myself
Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

These brushless r/c's really take no time at all to literally spin the wheels off. For me I need to check about every 10 minutes of running...at which point it may only take an 1/8 turn to get the wheel nut tight again.

I'm kinda surprized yours didn't make it through one battery. It must have been loose to begin with. After YOU have tightened the wheels, next time you're out check it a couple minutes in, then five mintes, etc. You'll figure out how long you can go after you have tightened it before you need to regularly check it again.

Loose fasteners suck. Somehting that could have been avoided. You still end up having to buy stuff that gets lost, and you probably didn't get any enjoyment out of some catastrophic accident! Thing is with a new R/C, you don't know what fasteners are more prone to falling out (and therefore should be checked more frequently). It could even be something hidden away that you didn't even know to look for. I guess you could keep close watch on the fasteners for the steering linkages that connect the steering servo to the steering rods or turnbuckles. I found a loose one on my ST...but I didn't learn my lesson becuase last week I had a screw fall out of my steering on my MT. Eventually you'll get better at preflight and postflight inspections of your R/C...that step is just as applicable to surface vehicles, especially hi-po ones just as it is to aircraft.

Enjoy your 'Pede, and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

It isn't fun if you aint breaking anything. I went out last night in the middle of the night and was driving in the parking lot down the road. I broke it again, lol, I already fixed it today but I gotta say I lost the fight with the curb I hit. I am learning though, I do a full check of all fastners and drive in very open areas. I love this thing it rocks and it's easy to fix.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Im not going to spew out all the up grades and stuff you should get yet...but
i will give you a simple inexpensive upgrade for the beginner....
THE RPM FRONT BUMPER......
cheap and will save your truck time and time again and easy to install....ciao and good luck....
remember to do a search on here from time to time with your questions..helps keep repeat posts down and its way faster than waiting for an answer when its been answered allready....
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Oh yeah..welcome to RCTECH!!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah - the RPM bumper for my AE 18MT has helped a bunch for me. After ripping the front suspension clean off a couple times clipping the leg of a park bench or some other object, the guys at my local hobby shop recommended it and i've been good since.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jeramiemaza
Thanks y'all,I got home with my new Stampede charged the battery and looked over all the literature that came with it. When the battery was done I got ready and went outside. Well let me just cut right to it. Sweet, I am very happy with this buy but not even five minutes after I dropped the battery in I lost one of my front tires during a hard turn. I lost the bearings, axle, hex, all of it. I found the tire but the other stuff disappeared in the grass that I was ironically was trying to avoid. So I went to Nankin Harware and of course they were out of the parts I needed. After talking with the guy for a bit he just took apart another truck and gave me the parts. The guy even fixed mine for free. Nankin Hardware in Farmington rocks man. I should have just followed directions and checked all the parts to make sure they were tight. I have to say maybe I was a bit to anxious to get it going.
1st of all Welcome to RC Tech! As said before you will find any kind of info you need for the Pede. FYI When i took my Pede out for the 1st time i too lost a FT tire, pin and hub somewhere in a baseball diamond or infield. I learned to put some thread lock on all wheels, bolts, etc before going out bashing. Mine is powered w/3s Lipo and a stock gear(19T); it goes plenty fast for off-road--almost too much power but it is cool. We like 5 ft clouds of dust flying around. (heh heh heh) If you install the hi-speed pinion, you'll be better off keeping it on the street. The parts you're talking about is about $3 from Traxxas but if your Hardware replaced for free that is great! Have Fun!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

I did buy the rpm bumper the day I bought my truck. I knew I would be getting in some collisions. I got the biggest bumper that would fit but I wish it was wider so it would cover the tires more. I am only running a 7 cell 8.4 volt with the stock pinion caus I off-road more than not. It's fast but I am excited to know I haven't even touched it's potential for speed. I am going to upgrade all the suspension and related parts for my b-day in august. I have a 10% coupon for my hobby shop so I am going to get all the parts at once to save a bunch of cash. Now I need to find some people to "play" with. I don't think R/C's are to popular around here (Redford, MI) they all spend to much time partying their money away. I think I am almost ready to race this thing.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

When the day comes when you bash into something and lose steering: turn power on, loosen the white thing that covers the servo underneath, center the ft tires, set the steering on the remote at "0" and reinstall servo saver. The 8.4 is indeed plenty of power and when you feel totally out of control, invest in a LiPo. The 3s 5000 works fine! Build it up hey- Would love to race w/you but Stockton,Ca is a bit far.