Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tuning

Hi Folks,

I have a Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 buggy i've run in and trying to tune. If I point my temp gauge at the glow plug it's rather hot (120c). If i try to add more low end mixture it will bog down after 20 seconds of idling when I go to take off.

The instructions I found say your car should sit there for at least 20 seconds, then when you take off, it shouldn't bog down before it takes off otherwise it's too rich.

From what I understand 120c is too hot, how can I tune it so I get good performance yet it doesn't bog down when it's been idling for 20-30 seconds.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Temperature is only a guide, and 20 sec seems too long without cleaning the system.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Twenty seconds while burping the throttle maybe. You won't be setting around that long so don't try tuning it so it will. Tune your high speed needle so you get the feel you want from mid and high throttle. Then bring it back in and let it sit for a five seconds or so, and take-off again. It should accelerate nice and crisply. If it doesn't then give the low speed just a hair leaner and try all over again. Keep doing this until you get the idle and take-off you want. This is assuming you have your idle gap set properly to begin with.

You tune the high speed needle first, then the low speed, then fine tune the idle with the idle screw (which should never be very much). Generally most all your tuning will be done with the high speed needle.

And remembe when you get it tuned where you like it, it is wise to come back in and richen the high speed just a bit. It will make your engine last longer that way.

120* C (248 F) is not to bad. Might want to richen up the high speed a bit if you're not racing but that is up to you. A little fat is better on the engine.