motor help?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Rookie

im pretty sure its not the connections, my steering works just fine.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Doesn't sound good. But your only chance now is to make sure everything, the receiver and ESC, is really dry, and check the connections like mentioned already. Put it near a furnace heat duct, or under a lamp for a while. don't overdo it, no ovens! I have brought stuff back to life in similar circumstances. Note I'm not recommending this!

Unlikely, but also look at the motor, I'm assuming it's a brushed motor, 2 wires to the motor. Look for the 2 brushes opposite each other, end opposite the gearing. Make sure they are against the comm of the motor, with springs pushing on them. If that connection gets gunked up you will have problems. But generally this means no action at all

And correct, the reason your ESC was having trouble was too much current draw, with the same voltage. That's why low turn motors are faster, they draw more current and thus power, which the ESC has to pass.

One thing that rarely seems to be mentioned, when going down in motor turns, suggest also going down in gearing some. A smaller pinion. This will reduce the current draw some, reduce motor heat, batteries run longer. And ya still go faster due to the faster motor.

You did make a massive change, I'm guessing some here, but I would have reduced the pinion size by at least a third myself, if not more. Nothing concrete here, others will disagree no doubt.

good luck
Old 02-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Doesn't sound good. But your only chance now is to make sure everything, the receiver and ESC, is really dry, and check the connections like mentioned already. Put it near a furnace heat duct, or under a lamp for a while. don't overdo it, no ovens! I have brought stuff back to life in similar circumstances. Note I'm not recommending this!

Unlikely, but also look at the motor, I'm assuming it's a brushed motor, 2 wires to the motor. Look for the 2 brushes opposite each other, end opposite the gearing. Make sure they are against the comm of the motor, with springs pushing on them. If that connection gets gunked up you will have problems. But generally this means no action at all

And correct, the reason your ESC was having trouble was too much current draw, with the same voltage. That's why low turn motors are faster, they draw more current and thus power, which the ESC has to pass.

One thing that rarely seems to be mentioned, when going down in motor turns, suggest also going down in gearing some. A smaller pinion. This will reduce the current draw some, reduce motor heat, batteries run longer. And ya still go faster due to the faster motor.

You did make a massive change, I'm guessing some here, but I would have reduced the pinion size by at least a third myself, if not more. Nothing concrete here, others will disagree no doubt.

good luck
dido